This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is it illegal to remake companies logos?
01-29-2013, 05:19 PM
Is it illegal to remake companies logos?
Recently I found an interest in graphic design, nothing serious though since I am currently in college for my Fine Arts degree in Illustration.... Just wanted to experiment by remaking a few companies logos (like Yahoo!, Facebook, Twitter, McDonalds, etc.) If I shared the logos with one of the companies, or even my own website, could I be sued? Even though I am a broke college student lol.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-29-2013, 05:27 PM

If you are in the UK then no as personal use is not a crime unless you make significant profit. In the US this should fall under fair use as its for educational purposes.

Like i said they shouldn't but they might, but they shouldn't win, but they might....

Ads

01-29-2013, 05:27 PM

Those logos usually cost a lot of money to produce and a lot of companies protect their trademarks vigorously. If they find them they will probably ask you take them down off the website, if you don't they can sue you - you'll find any fines are not dependent on your income. It's rare things get that far though.

There's no reason why you cannot remake the logos for your own education but you would be better off using the same techniques to create logos of your own using the names of fictitious companies if you are going to publish them. that way, there are no legal issues at all.

For example, everyone knows the Nike swoosh, with or without the tradename, what you could do is create a cross shape using the same techniques used to create the swoosh then call the company Noke or Nake or something. This website - http://www.steeldolphin.com/htmltuts/swoosh_design.html - did something similar.

Take alook at this site - http://www.logomyway.com/readyEnd_design_contests.php - if you feel you can design logos, why not enter some of their contests and maybe get some money?