This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is it like being in the medical field?
01-29-2013, 06:56 PM
What is it like being in the medical field?
Hello My name is Reilly A. I am a 12th grader and I go to K12 Online School in Ohio. I am doing an assignment in my college and career course. I really want to be in the medical field. I'm most interested in being a Dermatologist or Neurologist. I would like to know more about the medical field so I can know how I can prepare for a career as a physician. Could anyone that works in the medical field answer a few questions for me? It would really be an honor.

In High School what career were you wanting to pursue when you went to college.

What career do you have and where do you work?

What is a typical day for you?

Is your job rewarding, or why do you like your job? Or do you like your job?

How long did it take you to become an actual doctor?

Were there any ups and downs to reaching your career?

Do you know about what the job market might be like for future physicians?

Do you know what's the most important thing to do to prepare for a career as a physician?

Whoever answered these questions thank you so much. This will help me out a lot. Thanks for your time.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-29-2013, 07:04 PM

Most physicians don't have "typical" days, especially if they take call or do surgery. One day might be patients from 8-5. The next day might be surgery from 6am-8pm. The next day might be rounding at 7am, patients from 8-5, then surgery from 5-8. The next day might be rounding from 7-9 then nothing. The next day might be a pure clinic day, but with calls every hour from 1am until midnight the next day.

All doctors complete a version of an undergrad degree (usually 4 years) and do 4 years of med school. Residency lengths differ, but for both Derm and Neurology, I believe it's 4 years of residency.

Dermatology is one of the most difficult residencies to get into. You have to be at the top of your class and nail the match interviews. You need social skills on top of worldliness on top of perfect grades on top of life experience.

There isn't one important thing to do to prepare for med school and becoming a physician. It's a total package deal. You must volunteer, do extracurriculars, excel in school, and be an all around asset. It's incredibly competitive, so you really have to know how to study, how to test, and how to interview.

Good Luck.

Ads

Reilly those are great choices. The mdeical field is very demanding and exoensive to get into.
Congrats on your initiative. Good research efforts.
Complete thorough realistic research to achieve life sustaining income. Maybe accounting, engineering, law, medicine, computers, .... Always get job descriptions with course requirements from employers, unions, certification groups/associations. Don’t sign up for education till you’ve done this, EVER!!!

Pick a path where you don't start working bankrupt with debt. Don't become another casualty of the Trillion$ student debt. You must earn enough, $200k+ to support a family in a major City. Do not low ball your life and your family. If you can't find work volunteer to get in the door. Try volunteering at good potential employers and go down from there to community service, but get in anywhere and start working/networking, even if its for free.Be a model worker, no yapping, internet, cell phone..start work 30 minutes early and end work 30 minutes after day's end. Keep learning from more courses, read books, get another language, etc

There are almost 50 million people on food stamps, ~20% of males 25 to 54 yrs not working, lowest SATs in 40 years, debt to GDP over 100%, 25% of global prison inmates with only 5% of global population, etc and whats uncle sams answer to America's problems? Corrupt political paralysis and meteroic debt plague spiking by adding a trillion dollars of debt in 2013 to criminally prop up financial markets artificially. What a mess we live in!

You are On Your Own. YOYO's the word. Never forget it. Take control of your own lives and ignore what ever fictonal solutions the politicians and corporate bobble heads throw around as their self-profiteering benevolence.

Abandon obese consumer spending debt addiction culture and resulting self enslavement. Cut your lifestyle in half or less of the destructive unrealistic American dream nightmare standard....small house or apt..one car or no car .. always have a second job cause the one you have can/will disappear ...save and invest over 50% of your income if you can .... stay with your parents....parents move in with your kids...Rent with friends...rent rooms in your home ..Live like the wage you make today could be the last you'll earn, always. Stay away from ponzis, addictions, unhealthy lifestyles, get rich scams, online rip offs and purple koolaid cults.

Most of all maintain constructive positive relationships and forward planning. Have fun at it without spending money. What you are wanting to do is great but do it with a strong dose of reality and caring for your future, family and community. Good luck! CheersSmile.

Well, having a job in the medical field can be a very rewarding experience. Helping people in their time of need can make any medical professional feel proud. Once you decide to make your job a career, you should strive to be successful.