This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
POLL: Do you know any sociopaths?
01-30-2013, 12:16 AM
POLL: Do you know any sociopaths?
About 30% (or more) of the population have sociopathic/psycopathic/narcissistic personality disorder traits. These are people who are unable to feel empathy, they know right from wrong, but they don't care. Nearly all criminals have these traits. But a very large number of people who seem perfectly normal, have these traits too. These people are often high achievers and very ambitious. Often bosses at companies will have these traits. As do most world leaders/presidents. These types of people are known to be charming, and never lost for words, because they believe everything they say is brilliant. They are at the centre of their own universes, and they don't really see people as people, but more like tools to manipulate to get what they want from them, and as pawns in their 'game'. They are incredibly manipulative, but very good at hiding it, so maybe the only people who know what they're really like, are people who are very close to them, like their spouse or child. Even with these family members they are good at covering up their tracks and manipulating their minds into thinking they are not at fault.

These 'personality disorders' are not curable, as the person will never want to change, as they cannot feel empathy, and they stay that way their whole life.

Sociopath traits:
1. GLIB and SUPERFICIAL CHARM -- the tendency to be smooth, engaging, charming, slick, and verbally facile. Sociopathic charm is not in the least shy, self-conscious, or afraid to say anything. A sociopath never gets tongue-tied. They have freed themselves from the social conventions about taking turns in talking, for example.

2. GRANDIOSE SELF-WORTH -- a grossly inflated view of one's abilities and self-worth, self-assured, opinionated, cocky, a braggart. Sociopaths are arrogant people who believe they are superior human beings.

3. NEED FOR STIMULATION or PRONENESS TO BOREDOM -- an excessive need for novel, thrilling, and exciting stimulation; taking chances and doing things that are risky. Sociopaths often have low self-discipline in carrying tasks through to completion because they get bored easily. They fail to work at the same job for any length of time, for example, or to finish tasks that they consider dull or routine.

4. PATHOLOGICAL LYING -- can be moderate or high; in moderate form, they will be shrewd, crafty, cunning, sly, and clever; in extreme form, they will be deceptive, deceitful, underhanded, unscrupulous, manipulative, and dishonest.

5. CONNING AND MANIPULATIVENESS- the use of deceit and deception to cheat, con, or defraud others for personal gain; distinguished from Item #4 in the degree to which exploitation and callous ruthlessness is present, as reflected in a lack of concern for the feelings and suffering of one's victims.

6. LACK OF REMORSE OR GUILT -- a lack of feelings or concern for the losses, pain, and suffering of victims; a tendency to be unconcerned, dispassionate, coldhearted, and un empathic. This item is usually demonstrated by a disdain for one's victims.

7. SHALLOW AFFECT -- emotional poverty or a limited range or depth of feelings; interpersonal coldness in spite of signs of open gregariousness.

8. CALLOUSNESS and LACK OF EMPATHY -- a lack of feelings toward people in general; cold, contemptuous, inconsiderate, and tactless.

Narcissitic traits:

Personality/Character
She insists on being the center of attention, and is often the most charming person in the room. Narcissists are very outgoing and excel at marketing themselves.
She often seeks favorable treatment, and automatic compliance. She believes that she is special, and that she deserves fame, fortune, success and happiness.
She is highly materialistic.
She is prone to envy, though she presents as supremely confident. She seeks opportunities to undermine others, and enjoys sharing confidences about how the two of you are better than others.
She is convinced that others are envious and jealous of her, and often uses this excuse for her lack of real, intimate friendships. When her friends enjoy successes of their own, she finds ways to punish them by downplaying their achievements.
She lacks empathy, and even common courtesy at times. She puts others down, including you. She does not hesitate to exploit others.
She is very competitive.
She believes that she is intellectually superior to her peers.
She blames others for problems. Narcissists don’t believe that they make mistakes, and lack the ability to process shame.
She displays a haughty attitude when she lets her guard down or is confronted. She will act impatient, arrogant and condescending. She will often excuse her own shortcomings by claiming that others are pressuring her or expecting too much of her.
She is dishonest and often lies to get what she wants. She will never admit this.

Intersesting right?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-30-2013, 12:24 AM

Yes. One of my nieces.

Ads

So what IS the question? You seem to have covered all the points & then some!! I thought this to be a question, not a thesis defense. If you have a question, I'll be glad to answer, right now, I just don't see a real one.

well, that escalated quickly

You're more talking about something called antisocial personality disorder, though the 'disorder' part is hotly contested. A lot of mental health professionals believe that it isn't a disorder, but just another personality type.

Sociopathy, psychopathy, and antisocial personality disorder are not all the same thing. They're similar, but not identical.

Yes I do know someone like that - myself. There are a number of possible causes, but the individuals I went to during my teen years never had no consensus on what that cause would be.

It's not exactly true about the empathy bit. Yes it's true that no empathy is felt towards others, but that's only a symptom of what is really going on. People with ASPD simply don't form any kind of emotional bonds or connections to others, and *that* is why there's no empathy.

Lol one of my best friends its cute how she thinks that she is better than me in everything.

No.