This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why do people think the world will end, and where did that idea start?
01-31-2013, 11:06 AM
Why do people think the world will end, and where did that idea start?
I'm started to get really annoyed by the whole end of the world thing. I'm not annoyed by people who think the world is going to end. On the contrary, I'm getting tired of all the people making jokes about it. Everywhere, on facebook, on twitter, youtube comments, in real life, people are constantly making jokes about how absurd the idea of the world ending on 12/22/12 is. Well I've never met a single person who thinks the world is going to end. Nobody, not on the internet, not in real life. I'm curious as to who these people are. Apparently there's a good amount of people who are worried about it, for NASA to make a public statement saying the world is not going to end.

So I'm curious, where did this idea start? I know it has to do with Mayan calendars ending, as everybody and their sister seems to know now, but where'd this idea come from originally? Information about Mayan calendars isn't information that the average layman would know. Who's the guy who came along with knowledge about ancient Mayan calendars, noticed where they ended, somehow made the connection between that and the end of the world, and then publicized the idea? And when did this ridiculous commotion first start?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-31-2013, 11:14 AM

First of all i think is an american thing and I personally dislike the racism they are putting on the mayan calendar. In general is a way to make $$$$$

Ads

Some people love the doomsday concept.

As for the end of planet Earth, it absolutely WILL end someday, unless we can figure out how to replenish the Sun, and speed up Earth's orbit to prevent it from decaying and crashing into the Sun.

It all started when good people are treated as bad and bad ones are treated as good and good man has cursed by seeing this that the world will end it means that bad things will end one day.

The story started with claims that Nibiru, a supposed planet discovered by the Sumerians, is headed toward Earth. This catastrophe was initially predicted for May 2003, but when nothing happened the doomsday date was moved forward to December 2012 and linked to the end of one of the cycles in the ancient Mayan calendar at the winter solstice in 2012 -- hence the predicted doomsday date of December 21, 2012.