This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How can I start a pc building business?
01-31-2013, 06:19 PM
How can I start a pc building business?
Since I probably won't be able to get a job this summer, I have been considering building custom pc's for people. I know pretty much everything there is to know about building computers, though I'm not sure how to go about selling them online or how to even get people to find out about my service in decent numbers. I was thinking I could do it over ebay, but if there's an easier or more efficient way of doing it, I'd very much like to hear it.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-31-2013, 06:27 PM

You start by targeting the customization type you want to build. Gamers are most likely your target as they are the main group of individuals that normally use customized PCs. If you know the hardware and building of the hardware in and out, then all you will basically be doing is assembling the stuff together. Selling online is pretty much the same as selling anywhere else, it takes a while to get onto google's first page rank, even though some trollers have probably crammed up there already. ebay is an ok option, so is craigslist. the decision on 'where' or 'how' to sell is not a single unique answer. You could combine a simple website, with a twitter account, an ebay account and craigslist listings and sell through all these multiple channels for free. Apart from online(which involves shipping and delivery charges) you can also put up posters, advertise on school and university boards and sell locally within your community.

I think efficiency here is in the strategy, you can start with multiple forms of marketing and advertising and gradually diminish marketing strategies that aren't helping you. You do this by asking clients where they heard about your service, if more people say "through a university ad" and only 1 in 300 people say on twitter, you simply focus more on advertising on university boards and give less time to twitter. I further recommend that if you're going to sell something tangible, then it must be a long-term business, cause nobody likes to buy things from a company that doesn't exist after 2 months.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply