This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can I set rules of my online art to not be shared or REBLOGGED?
01-31-2013, 10:01 PM
Can I set rules of my online art to not be shared or REBLOGGED?
I am beginning now to post digital artwork to art sites, like Deviantart. I want them to stay on that site only...

I do not want my art "shared" or posted to blogging sites that I have not joined.
Facebook, WordPress, Twitter... I don't ever want to see my work "shared' on those sites.
Can I legally state that I DISALLOW all reblogging of my work? If so, then if I found it on, say Twitter, could I send a report to Twitter staff to have it removed?

If I drew a humorous meme-like picture, could I say I do not want to see it on meme sites, (think 9GAG reposts) and report those people who do anyway?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-31-2013, 10:09 PM

First, you'd spend all day trying to locate who's linking to your art. Then, you'd spend the rest of your time trying to prove it was yours before it would be removed.

You have an uphill battle ahead of you. Major TV networks hire a staff to locate and have TV shows removed from other websites. It can take days to get just 1 show removed, but by that time another one has replaced it.

Uphill battle, indeed....placing disclaimers has never worked before. I doubt they will now.

Ads

If you don't want it stolen, don't put it on the web. Simple.

And if you put it on facebook, and make it public, anyone can share your stuff. Facebook says so, and you agreed to it when you signed up. Read the terms of service.

In fact, read the tos on anything you sign up for. You'd be surprised what you read.

You can try to disallow stuff, it might or might not be removed. You cannot take anyone to court, unless you have registered the copyright to each and every one of your works. Then, you have a leg to stand on and can scream copyright infringment.

You can still scream copyright infringment without registering, but you can't do it in a court of law.

And, like with facebook, you agreed to it when you signed up.

Copyright them.