This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What does this psalm mean?
10-12-2012, 01:49 AM
What does this psalm mean?
I've come across this quite a few times online and I don't know what it means. I frequently see it posted by "RevRunWisdom" on twitter, he posts many religious tweets and uplifting ones. They all have a meaning so I know this must mean something. I don't understand it though, please and thank you for help!

"You prepared a table before me in the presence of my enemies: u anoint my head with oil, my cup runs over -psalms 23"

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2012, 01:57 AM

He likes getting covered in oil?

Kinky

Ads

It means that christians have no fear and are thankfull.

It's about Gods protection for His people.

: Jehovah feeds his sheep, and he does so in abundance. David writes: “You arrange before me a table in front of those showing hostility to me. With oil you have greased my head; my cup is well filled.” (Psalm 23:5) In this verse, David describes his Shepherd as a generous host who provides food and drink in abundance. The two illustrations—a caring shepherd and a generous host—are not at odds. After all, a good shepherd must know where to find rich pasture grounds and sufficient drinking water so that his flock will “lack nothing.”—Psalm 23:1, 2.

It is symbolic of God being please with the writer and honouring him.

Preparing a table - grand feasts were always prepared to celebrate something or someone - preparing a table means to celebrate this person.

anointing head with oil - all kings and future kings had special oils poured onto their heads, as a meaning that they were to be the king

my cup runs over - symbolic of a cup full of liquid that runs up and over the brim to overflowing - this person has a lot of wealth, a lot of love, honour, etc - this person is greatly honoured by God.

Psalm 23 was written by King David and David was always looked on as a man after God's own heart - God honoured David and will continue to honour him in the future when the kingdom is set up and the Resurrection comes - David will be given a place of honour in the Kingdom.

The 23rd Psalm is beautiful

It related to the Lord as a sheperd and we are the sheep

Psalm 23
A Psalm of David.
1 The LORD is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
3 He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell[a] in the house of the LORD
Forever.

Verse 5 refers to

A the fact that while our enemy is around, we are safe....in our pasture.
B That he makes our way easier (sheep had their heads annointed with oil to help them get through the brambles as the graze
C. We have everything we need. (Cup runneth over)

god allows a person to eat in peace in the presence of his enemies

god has anointed the person to be his special interest

my blessings are many

It is praise to the Great Creator and the way that He 'shepherds' us: with green pastures and leading beside still waters.

YOU (meaning the Good Shepherd, God, the Christ) prepared a table: meaning, everything is already planned before hand: God provides through ways that we could not even imagine! Even when there are enemies, God has already prepared a way to rejoice: like at a banquet!

You anoint my head with oil: All shepherds understand this verse: when sheep are stubborn, they 'butt' their heads against stone and hurt themselves. But the Good Shepherd applies oil and this oil brings healing to sore heads. Healing to headaches and healing to stubbornness.

My cup runs over: A brimming cup, so full will spill out! Whatever God has given to us, He does not give in a stingey way, He fills our 'cup' with so much that it 'runs over' (spills right out!)

Can God love us too much? Not possible! He has given us His Son, Who came to show a more excellent way: the world needs to see that.

Psalm 23 (KJV)

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

That specific verse refers to Gods generosity and his blessing "anointing the head with oil = blessing" "preparing a table, cup overflowing = his abundant generosity.