This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is technology improving or weakening our social skills?
02-04-2013, 06:24 AM
Is technology improving or weakening our social skills?
I think technology is great. It leads to a bunch of new things that we couldn't do before and it's always improving. The one thing that I'm wondering about however is whether technology helps us socialize even more or weakens our social skills.

The thing is, sure. We have all these social network sites like Facebook, and Twitter and we can text by phone and communicate from long distances. But that's not the same thing as if you were to meet people in person or if you were doing a job that required person to person contact.

So would you say that technology is improving or weakening our social skills?

(I couldn't find a better word for weakening but you know what I mean)

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2013, 06:32 AM

I think that communicating through technology can become a handicap that will heighten our sense of communication in one area and kill our sense of communication in other areas.

In other words, it builds different communication skills, and if the former ways humans communicate is not used as much or at all, then we will lose that ability; or what was once normal will seem awkward, because what was once awkward has become the new normal.

Ads

Improving

I would say technology is weakening our social skills. Most people are not comfortable or do not know how to hold a conversation face to face. Instead they stay at home sending out tweets and trying to gain followers.