This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why are suburban high schools more cliquey then inner city ones?
02-13-2013, 07:07 AM
Why are suburban high schools more cliquey then inner city ones?
Im in grade 12 and I used to go to a highschool in the suburbs and was often a target of bullies and I also noticed that there tends to be well defined social groups. Also there is a fair amount of fighting and what not.Most of the popular guys act so full of themselves and act like such choches. They drive BMWs,Hummers etc. to school and are always posting fb pics of partying and **** and showing themselves off etc. They act like they are superior to everyone and try to pick fights over small stuff etc.
Well this year I transfered to a different high school. Its in an older section of the city. Its not like a ghetto or anything but its not out in the suburbs.
Well ive noticed that its not really that cliquey at alll. Like yeah people have their groups but they arnt caught up in the whole idea of cliques. I find that evryone in my senior class seems to at least get along even if they arnt best friends. Also the "popular" guys (like the ones that play alot of sports etc.) don't act like choches and they talk to everyone else too.
I have found it very easy to fit in and stuff and talk to people. I have always been introverted in the past and never had many friends at all at my old school and was picked on. Seriously wish id left way earlier.
But what do you think is the reason for this. Is what i described unique to my situation? or are subburban hgih schools just more cliquey then inner city ones. Why is that? Also my new highschool is more racially diverse. Could that play a role? I mean you d think that would make it more cliquey but it really doesnt seem too.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2013, 07:15 AM

We're more "cliquey" You're more "Gangy"

Ads

02-13-2013, 07:15 AM

It's because in the suburbs people have less things to do and there's less diversity allowing the media to take most over most social preconceptions. I actually went to really nice suburban high school (not rich just with overall nice people) but I've heard of very movie typical high schools from friends. But my friends tell me - it's because there's nothing to do. So their life becomes a game of status just to stave off the boredom. In the city - at least - you can go window shopping or other stupid things in WALKING distance.

City - more diversity in general. A lot more distain for the social norm and groups. the ones I went to were really open about pretty much everything. I think its a little bit like - there's so many people in the city that you want to be unique. I was exposed to a lot more mature ideas and was able to come to a conclusions myself that I wanted to be better than what I saw. When you're in a moving and changing environment you also change and improve (well if you choose to).

Between the two they were both very different but I realized that moving around didn't define me - I had to choose who I was in the end. I made friends in both because I aimed for good people who I could see were good students and actually were mature - kindred spirits if you could say.

Overall I do agree with you though.