This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
im going on a disney cruise, will i be able to use my cell phone?
02-13-2013, 03:06 PM
im going on a disney cruise, will i be able to use my cell phone?
im going on a disney cruise, the disney wonder, and i was just wondering if they have cell phone reception there. i have an iphone (at&t) and i was wondering if i could make calls or send texts from the ship, at the bahamas, castaway cay, or anywhere. i dont have international calling or anything. but also, if i do have reception and i use it, am i going to be charged because im out of country?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2013, 03:14 PM

NEIN!!

Ads

probably i know its a short answer but maybe they will bc who knows, its disney they can afford things and cruises are expensive so they pamper woo lol

I just recently sailed on the Wonder. They say you can get cellular service at international rates. My cell phone is on the Verizon network and I tried, couldn't get anything! I have a friend who made several calls and paid $200 for them all together.
I am on vacation, don't need to be botered by a phone!

You will probably have a signal when you are on land; However, the phone, text and data plans you have is only for the US. If you use the phone or text or email or internet, you are going to be charge internaional roaming charges. That means each incoming or outgoing text will cost you $.50 . Data fees are even worse, close to $1 per Mb.

I would leave your phone in airplane mode for the entire cruise until you get back to the US. If not, you could have a bill well over $1000.

I don't think so, only access to the Internet.

If you are out of the US and off-ship, any calls, texts, etc, will be subject to international roaming. On board, if you get reception it will be via the ships own cell antenna and you will be charged roaming. As far as internet use, on board you will have to arrange with the ship for connection and you will be charged whatever their current internet usage fees are which will be the same as if you use their internet cafe (this is provided you can just use wi-fi only).

Many cruise passengers find out the hard way that staying connected on vacation can be very expensive. Making calls from the phone in your cabin or using the Internet Cafe onboard is pricey, but the cruise lines are upfront about the costs.

Whether you are someone who can't put the cell phone down, text message obsessed or addicted to Twitter, these tips will help you save money onboard a cruise. Start by doing your homework. You spent hours researching cruises online and saved hundreds dollars for that great cabin. Don't give it all back by not understanding the rules when it comes to using your cell phone, Blackberry or iPhone onboard.

1. Get in touch with your wireless carrier before you go and ask about roaming & long distance charges for making and receiving calls on the cruise ship. Depending on the carrier, calls typically range from $2.99 to $4.99 per minute.

2. Ask about charges for sending and receiving text messages, picture messages and emails from the cruise ship.

3. Avoid making calls from the cruise ship while in port. When you board a cruise ship, your wireless device switches to the cruise ship's cell tower and network. That call from your stateroom before you left Miami or Port Canaveral won't be covered by your monthly calling plan.

4. When in port, walk a few hundred yards away from the cruise ship before turning on your cell phone. Even though you are standing on the pier, you still might be riding on the cruise ship's network.

5. Now ask about charges for using your cell phone on land for each of your destinations.

6. Unless you have to be in constant contact, keep your cell phone turned off while onboard the cruise ship. Even if you don't answer your cell phone, you'll be paying for voice mails, text messages and emails received.

7. Map out a plan. When your cruise stops in a U.S. state or territory, you should be covered by your calling plan, but it's a good idea to ask your wireless carrier.

8. Ask if there are any calling restrictions. For example, making calls from your destination to countries other than the United States.

9. Approximate your usage or get in touch with your wireless carrier while on your cruise to get a update on your current balance.

Since most ships nowadays have a cell tower of their own, it would "seem" as though it is amazing you get service. Please be warned however because you will be charged exponential rates. Unless you want to have the costs, I recommend you take your battery out of your phone and don't worry about it during your cruise. Many people on the cruise forum Cruisers Connect said they had bad experience with cell bills etc. on their cruises. If you have any other questions you are welcome to ask the members at http://www.CruisersConnect.com. Hope this helps have a great time on the Wonder!