This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why doesn't Yahoo Answers include a social media site anymore?
02-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Why doesn't Yahoo Answers include a social media site anymore?
I remember the old 360 and when they stopped that they had a microblog something like Twitter and then a regular blog. Why is it all gone? Is it because of too much competition?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2013, 06:46 PM

Yahoo IS a social media web-site , the fifth most popular in the world. The reason they closed the email chat rooms was pro ably because too much abuse was being posted or because of completion.

"...As of December 14, 2012, all public chat rooms on Yahoo! Messenger have been shut down as part of a series of features being changed/added/deleted. It is unclear whether there will be enough feedback from the user community to force a recanting of this policy.

[3][4] ...

...Yahoo! has since closed down the chat.yahoo.com site (which is now a redirect to a section of the Yahoo! Messenger page) because the great majority of chat users accessed it through Messenger. The company is still working on a way to allow users to create their own rooms while providing safeguards against abuse. A greyed-out option to "create a room" was available until the release of version 11.

A recently added feature in Yahoo! Messenger allows users to connect with their Facebook friends through the messenger.

[edit] SPIM

Yahoo! Messenger users are subject to unsolicited messages (SPIM) and the problem remains unresolved. Blogs and websites addressing this issue are supportive of the chat environment, and writers genuinely want to continue using the service, yet express frustration about Yahoo's absolute failure to address spam and other related problems. User queries are met with forms and replies that Yahoo is "working to resolve the problem," yet there is no evident progress.[9][10] As of 2007 it is estimated that at least 75% of all users who use Yahoo chat rooms are bots.[11] Yahoo has introduced a CAPTCHA system to help filter out bots from joining chat rooms but it has done little to actually stop the problem and has only inconvenienced human users.[12]..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo!_Messenger

Ads

The replacement for 360 failed completely and was gone within a few months. It was poorly designed from the start.

I actually liked 360 and was a bit sad to see it go.

The replacement was Y! Pulse which was badly designed and a failed replacement in my opinion. It was a personal privacy nightmare (unless you knew to change all the settings) and was by no means as personal or interactive as 360.

Pulse has now been replaced by Y! Profile which is a totally stripped version of Pulse with just a bare profile and none of the customisations.

Out of the three, 360 was the best in my opinion. It looks like they tried to "improve" users experience and actually ended up giving up. Y!A is not really targeted as a clear social media site and I suppose they could not compete with the likes of Facebook, Twitter etc so stopped trying to.