This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
If an employer demands employees' Facebook password, what if the employee doesn't have one?
02-16-2013, 04:46 AM
If an employer demands employees' Facebook password, what if the employee doesn't have one?
Some employers are going as far as demanding Facebook passwords from their employees. What if the employee simply doesn't have any social media accounts and never uses social media? Also, what if he/she does have such an account, but tells the employer that they don't? How would they find out otherwise, especially if their privacy settings are set to maximum?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-16-2013, 04:54 AM

that is super illegal too, it's an invasion of privacy

Ads

Firstly your employer shouldn't be even asking for your Facebook account.

It's more or less the same as them asking for your house keys, it's private and nothing to do with them,

Whether you have an existing FB account or not, just create a new one, fill it with some clean and relevant items, and say that it the one you use. They don't need to know otherwise.

I'd go to citizens advice ,does not sound...right not at all. It is defo an invasion of privacy.if you don't have any social media sites linked to you then you must get the employers to understand this, if you have settings on max,I do still believe you can be found on facebook. A friend of a friend of a friend of a friend.just so happens to be your friend.and for all you know your employer knows this friend,lol.facebook is such a massive thing,Once your on there,that is it!
Your best bet is to change your name to something unrecogniseable and use an email address also unknown to people so they can defo not find you.

I would tell them to go pound sand.

I would no more give them my Facebook password than I would allow them to read the mail that comes to my home.

This will eventually end up in the Supreme Court.

First you tell the employer that they are violating your constitutional rights to privacy...

Next you tell the employer that it is against Facebooks Terms Of Service for anyone but you to access the account.

Next you tell the employer that you are going to contact the Federal Department of Labor and file a complaint because their actions are illegal.

OR

Just say sure ok and verbally tell them your password...then note the last time you signed in on facebook, wait until they access your account then file a report with facebook that your account was hacked and accessed by someone else....Facebook will trace the IP and take action against the employer...lol

The employee has no obligation either to have a facebook or release the password to the employer.

LOL Your privacy settings CAN'T stop it. They will simply go on Facebook and look up your name. No matter how strong your privacy settings are your name will still appear as a member.