This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is it weird I am an aspiring journalist but I don't have social networks? People dislike me?
02-17-2013, 02:06 PM
Is it weird I am an aspiring journalist but I don't have social networks? People dislike me?
Hello all, I just want some opinions. I am an aspiring journalist and I freelance for two publications. I have a pretty decent viewcount on a monthly basis but I don't have a Facebook or anything. I had Facebook at one point (since people think its the ONLY way to talk to each other) but I hated it. I found it to be boring and silly with people whining and bragging all the time and I rarely spoke to people. I don't really talk to people in person either. I always have to call or text people first. I haven't heard from two people I thought were my close friends in over two months. I have content that I would like to share with more people, but I feel as if people won't be supportive. I also don't really want to reach out to them if they don't care to even check up on me. I don't get how I can build a strong audience if people don't even like me in person. I know I'm whining right now but I am trying to think about my career.
Sometimes when I talk to people about what I'm up to, they act like they are impressed or happy then start treating me different, in a negative way. I know that I don't act any different like brag or act stuck up, but I know social media is huge and I have to find a way to be a part of it. Any ideas on what I can do to bring people to me? I have no connections and I feel as if I don't stand a chance inthe media world.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2013, 02:14 PM

If you are freelancing for two publications, you are doing something right! Social media is a craze -- like in the long ago past, flagpole sitting and goldfish eating. Really, IMO it does not matter a bit. If you want to be a journalist, you don't have to care about whether people "like" you. You have to be curious about what is going on, and asking questions to the people who are doing it. Believe me, people dearly love to talk about themselves and what they are doing, and will tell you practically anything if you actually want to know.

Good luck to you with your career plans. I think you will succeed.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply