This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Severe muscle spasms in my sleep?
02-17-2013, 06:38 PM
Severe muscle spasms in my sleep?
It's really starting to scare my boyfriend. Especially since this morning when my back lurched forward and I gasped for breath. The closest to the feeling was a car accident. But it's not just this. Sometimes my leg(s), arm(s), or parts of my face/head twitches. He's afraid that I'll have a seizure or something. Any ideas of what this is? Should I see doctor?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2013, 06:46 PM

This falling sensation, together with a body movement known as a "sleep start," is what doctors and scientists call a hypnic or myoclonic (say: my-eh-kla-nik) jerk, and it usually happens right before going into deeper stages of sleep.

Here's why doctors think the falling feeling and myoclonic jerks happen. When you fall asleep, normally your body temperature goes down and your heart starts to beat just a little slower. This is because your brain signals your body to relax to prepare for sleep. When your muscles are relaxed, you go into the very first stages of sleep, but you're not sleeping too deeply yet.

This brain activity may cause your larger muscles to contract a little bit. In response, another part of your brain will make up a very quick mini-dream to go along with what is happening. You might think this would take a while, but your brain works so lightning fast that it makes up the story almost at the same instant that your muscles jerk.

During this light sleep, you can be easily awakened - like if the phone rings or if your dog licks your face. A lot of people who do wake up during this light sleep believe they haven't really fallen asleep yet. That's why you may think that your body jerked right before you were about to fall asleep, but really, you were lightly asleep the whole time - just not deeply asleep.

Myoclonic jerks are a normal part of sleep. Most people (80%) have them at one time or another. But many people do not realize their muscles are jerking at times during light sleep and it doesn't wake them up.

Try watching someone who is in the early stages of sleep. If he's twitching a little bit, it means he's experiencing a myoclonic jerk but isn't being startled awake.

Read more: Sleep Disorders Forum - spasms before falling asleep http://ehealthforum.com/health/spasms-be...z2HDNJbGaM
Follow us: @ehealthforums on Twitter

Good luck!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply