This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is it weird for social phobia to effect me badly ONLINE?
02-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Is it weird for social phobia to effect me badly ONLINE?
I've being shy my entire life. I remember in School, I would never put my hand up to ask the teachers for help, but around year 3 I started to put my hand up. I than developed an anxiety disorder and it all went down hill after that. I don't know anything due to not asking for help. My year 6 teacher was a little rude but they had no idea about my social phobia. We were doing math, which was very hard. And she yelled out in front of the class ''Sarah still hasn't asked for help..im waiting''. Which embarrassed me. In class when I was asked to answer a question my heart beated very fast, i got sometimes light headed, sweaty.

It never used to effect me online but now it does. Someone I haven't met in real-life wanted to introduce me to their friends online, and I freaked and made up an excuse to leave the room. I do not join online virtual chat games, I haven't wrote a Facebook status in 2 years almost 3 now. When I have a conversation with someone I can tell they think I'm awkward and they leave or say ''brb'' then they log off 5 minutes later.

I haven't had friends in 4 years. I haven't had an online conversation a proper one since 2010. I see a psychologist and I'm even shy to talk to him. I cry myself to sleep everynight because I see people online with friends, I have none. A bully online told me it's ''my fault'' for having social phobia. When I did counseling in a group session, I actually was so shy I mixed up my words! I have a tutor, and I pretend I understand but I don't because I'm too shy.

Is this severe? Does me being so shy online indicate it's severe? Is it really my fault?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2013, 07:52 PM

you need to pull yourself together and spot allowing the excuse of being shy to ruin your life.

Ads

02-17-2013, 07:52 PM

You are very well spoken. Along the way you have learned how to express yourself. Your problem is a very painful one. I think it's a new phenomenon that everything that can happen offline has a new equivalent online. I wouldn't worry about being the only one. Just like in life, there are always people who appear more comfortable, more self assured.
I was painfully shy and I am an introvert by nature.But I would compare myself to out-going, extroverted people. Watch and see who it is you're comparing yourself with. Popularity is also artificially inflated by the methods of 'liking' online. And 15 million likes online, are still online- maybe that person is just like anyone, offline.
I just googled and found all sorts of references to similar problems- here's one link:
http://commonhealth.wbur.org/2012/04/soc...y-disorder
Does your psychologist give you any suggestions for setting realistic goals?
Here is a link to a self-help group :http://www.anxietysocialnet.com/anxiety-blog/item/202-social-anxiety-disorder-sad-useful-information
I am a very mature sufferer of the same problem. I've managed to live a fairly fulfilling life in spite of it.
And remember- you don't need a million friends. One or two good friends would be great, online or off. Work toward just one. Have you ever noticed anyone who seems to be a little like yourself? perhaps offering friendship to them might help you both out.
Lastly, I am an artist and have found a lot of peace in expressing my sadness in my art- and my happiness too.
I feel for you, I really do.