This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is it wrong to want to ask for help? (sorry, bit long)?
02-18-2013, 02:05 AM
Is it wrong to want to ask for help? (sorry, bit long)?
I wasn't quite sure if this belonged in health, or higher education,but I chose education because this has more to do with university life than anything else.
Recently I've been having some issues with stress, resounding negativity (from bottlong up emotion,) and some reoccuring depressive tendencies that pop up from time to time that stemmed from years of bullying in grade school. As a whole I'm not depressed, my life is great, grades come easily to me, I love my sport, home life is relatively good, I'm happy on campus, etc. But I have no friends, and I really don't want any, every friend I've ever had has screwed me and I enjoy my solitude anyway. I enjoy not having friends and being on my own, I've never really understood relationships outside of the theory behind them (I got rid of facebook and twitter today too, anyone I need to talk to has my phone number), yet not having anyone to talk to weighs on me heavily especially when I get stressed (ie now with the start of a new semester.) My life as a whole is fantastic, I really wouldn't change anything a person couldn't ask for more, but recently I've just been a ball of negativity and self loathing (based mostly around the past and the inability to let go of my mistakes, no matter how small.)
I've been thinking about paying a visit to my campus mental health centre, just to have someone to talk to and evaluate what's going on inside my head (though I can guarantee I'm not in harms way of any sort.) Is making that trip something I should look into, or should I just keep dealing with this on my own?

On a final note, are visits to these campus centres free, or do they cost money (generally?)

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-18-2013, 02:13 AM

it sounds like you really should talk to someone. even if you feel awkward it is for your own good! and about payment, it is different with every campus! you will have to call an see! much love<3

Ads

If you think you need help it is wrong to NOT ask for help. As for the cost, policies are different at different schools. You have to ask.

as for costs -- it depends on your schools policy. for my school the first 5 visits are free, for example.

i think you should talk it out with someone, or maybe even write it out, even if no one ever sees it. there are also probably people you can call. also try https://spillnow.com/ for a venting area. even try sites like reddit, who may lead you to someone who has a similar perspective in life who can talk it out with you, or someone with a different perspective who can help you think things through.

from personal experience (great life, really, but very negative thoughts), it was never really good when i held it in. i've learned to 1) blog and 2) vent to my two very best friends (not everything, but enough to unload and have them cheer me up). i don't have a wide range of friends, but the ones i have found are people i sincerely trust, and i think THAT is the vital part of friendship -- the quality, not the quantity, especially because of times like these.