This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What does fancy mean in british ?
02-19-2013, 01:02 AM
What does fancy mean in british ?
i was on twitter and this British band sent me a message saying thanks for the follow , and they were wondering you fancy (me) if I could check out their band .
me: ok c: then now I'm wondering what do they mean by you fancy :0 I'm not sure if it means sexually attractive or just fancy as in classy :0 I'm confused

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2013, 01:10 AM

When the English say "I fancy you" or "Do you fancy me?" it means "I like you" and "Do you like me?"

Ads

it means to have a crush

It means when you fancy someone you want them for a boyfriend/girlfriend

Actually no to the above. It is used to mean "I like you" in terms of boyfriend/girlfriend but not in this context.

Fancy here means "do you want to" or "can you?" The most obvious phrase that comes to mind for me that is used quite a lot is "fancy a shag?" which just means "do you want to have sex?" Or, we also use something like "Fancy going to the shop for me?" which means "could you go to the shop for me?"

Also it can imply a request to go with someone. At least once every single day, one of my parents will say to the other "Fancy a ciggy?" Ciggy being short for a cigarette. Basically one of them wants to go outside and have one, so they ask the other if they want one, so they don't have to go outside by themselves.

By asking "Fancy checking out our band?" it just means sort of "Can you check out our band, it'd be great if you did." It's wanting you to do something for them, in a nice way.

It's quite a polite/non-committal way of asking something from someone. It's basically used for polite requests for things that's usually out of someone's way and something you want them to do for you.