This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What virus would prevent navigation on my computer?
02-19-2013, 04:49 AM
What virus would prevent navigation on my computer?
I have a dell computer running on Windows 7. Recently, I am unable to click on navigation bars on websites (ex. the blue bar on facebook, clicking anything on aol/yahoo etc.). Im running Norton Security Scan right now, but anyone had this problem/know what could be causing it?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2013, 04:57 AM

Most viruses that affect the functioning of you machine deliberately are in the class
of hostageware. A message would pop up offering to fix your machine for a fee.

If you don't have that then any number of poorly written viruses could cause miss configurations, and give you the symptoms you have. Unfortunately the you didn't give enough detail to comment more than this.

If you Norton scan finds nothing then you can run a couple of the other free scanners like Microsoft's
security essentials (windows.microsoft.com/mse). The reason is the way they scan for viruses is different so on my find something the other does not. You should not have two AV programs running at once. {Turn off Norton, install and run MSE, uninstall MSE and starup Norton again}

An alternative would be to use a standalone scanner like MS System Sweeper (http://connect.microsoft.com/systemsweeper). You download and burn a cd that scans the machine
without running the possible infected OS on your disk.

If non of that detects anything it is time to rethink the problem. You will have to answer question like
What browser are you running. what plugins are loaded , are they up to date. Are you running any toolbars (Remove them and see if the behavior is different), Is the OS up to date with patches.

After you have tried some of this create a new question with more details.

Ads

02-19-2013, 04:57 AM

It could be a number of different reasons...run Avast and malwarebytes...both have free versions...i dont recommend norton..