This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why isn't anyone reading my book?
02-19-2013, 06:08 PM
Why isn't anyone reading my book?
Someone please help me! I am desperate and delirious. I have spent the past month editing, proofreading and fixing up my manuscript. I promoted it endlessly, and got everyone hyped up up until the memoir's official publication date of 12/12/2012. Then, nothing...absolutely nothing!
Countless people have congratulated me and promised to buy book, but the promises are empty. Am I doing something wrong?
I've submitted to various review sites, contacted authors in similar genres who I have loads in common with, contacted bloggers, libraries, put up flyers, and even given out loads of free copies. People have even promoted my book to their friends. I would say that the book sucks, but the few people who have read it loved it (unless they were sugarcoating their opinions!). For people to formulate the opinion that the book sucks, they'd actually have to read it first. I am beside myself. AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG?!
Yes, of course, it is online! If any fellow authors are interested in participating in a book exchange, please contact me. Here is my book:

http://www.amazon.com/You-Have-Shift-Lot...t+of+frogs
***I am not saying that it sucks, I am just making a point that people having a negative opinion of it can't possibly be the reason. It's just a confusing world!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2013, 06:16 PM

Have you put it online? You should because then more people would see it. Like put on amazon or something.

Ads

Hey, it's only been, what, five days? Most people I know take at least a month to get the sales of their book to skyrocket. Not all books become instant bestsellers. Really, you just have to be patient. Some people are still getting over the Newtown shooting that happened on the 14th. A lot of people just aren't in the mood to buy books in the shadow of that incident. Be patient, and keep writing. Isn't that what we writers do? We don't write because we want the glory of being a bestseller. We write because we enjoy putting our ideas and passions into words. Having people enjoy our writing is a bonus that we all eventually get. Just remember: writing is our way of life. If your down on money and luck, and you need a push, then just keep writing! Remember, fame doesn't happen overnight. How many people went to the opening night of The Perks of Being a Wallflower? Practically no one, because it's not even in half of the theaters across the state of Georgia. But now it's being nominated for a People's Choice Award! And J.K. Rowling, when she published Harry Potter, had to go to THIRTEEN different publishers before it was finally accepted. And then it took another year before it hit bestsellers list! If you start to doubt your writing, then just remember why you started writing in the first place. Because we enjoy writing? Or because we wanted the fame? Either way, we can still push hard to that goal. If there's one thing I've learned in these past few years, it's that we writers can be pretty stubborn when it comes to it. Wink

Such is one of the downfalls with self-publishing. It's hard to get sales. Though, one self-p0ubbed author for fiction (I know yours is non-fiction) said it took a few years for his books to take off and really start selling. He started selling tens of thousands of copies a month. He recently sold the print rights to a big six publisher and he's sold rights to his book in different countries. He got his agent because she read his book, loved it, and contacted him about representing him.

Unfortunately, this doesn't happen to most self-published authors. Just give it time to play out and don't expect to sell thousands on your first day of release. And, to be honest, maybe those people who said they'd buy your book were just being nice. I've said the same thing, including "i'll check it out" when I had no plans to do so. Just being nice. That's the hard possible truth.

The other truth is that they might eventually buy your book, but not right now. So give them time. Maybe they need to wait until they have the funds available. Maybe they've forgotten and need a little reminder. Or maybe they just need to buy it on their own time. There are lots of books that I want to buy but don't always buy them right away, sometimes it takes months to finally get around to it.

And make sure you're available on social media & building your platform. Ask yourself why anyone would want to read your life story and make sure they know why they should read it.

No one said self-publishing was easy. It's a lot of work and might not yield much results. Good luck with it. You say that your book sucks. that's very telling and if it sucks then why did your rush to publish it? why should I buy your book if even you the author thinks it's not worth buying? I mean, would you buy a book that you knew sucked? I wouldn't! Be careful in how you promote your book because saying things like that can really hurt you if readers come across those comments.

ADDING: Your cover art is okay and looks professional. Your description of your novel is boring. Your life could be anyone's life. Why should i take teh time to read someone's pretty average life? My point isn't to be mean, but is to point out that tehre are A LOT of autobiographies out there (many reviewers think most of them shouldn't be written because the author's life is to average). Show in your descirption how your novel is different from all the rest self-pubbed memoirs and why peopel should spend time and money reading it. What's so unique about your life that makes it more interesting than the average persons? You need to add that info to your description.

ADDING2: "I would say that the book sucks..."
Okay, I guess you're not saying it sucks. Tongue Even thought it's an unintentional comment, some can come across it and take you at your word for it and possibly leave a comment if they ever review the book mentioning the fact (it is a fact becasue you did say it) that the author thinks her own book sucks.

You have had unrealistic exceptions. Welcome to reality.

Why is it so damn expensive?

Why dont you publish your book as an ebook on HUGO? It is a free service and will get your book distributed out to Apple iTunes, Kobo and WH Smith. There is marketing help on the site too. All free. Check out http://www.hugo.sc
Tim

Because it's s-h-i-t

Certain sites will promise to publish it. You only have to give them lots of money. Don't go there. Luck with your book/ life

The name isn't catchy, if i was looking for suggestions and i came across your book the name wouldn't make me want to read it. Why don't you try sending free versions to reviewers on Youtube ? Or popular blog reviewers? Twitters a good way to get people talking so you could try and create 'hype' there. Also the books rather expensive, no-ones going to buy a book for nearly $16 when the author isn't already a best seller.
Hope i helped! Smile