This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Rebel without a cause remake?
02-20-2013, 03:39 AM
Rebel without a cause remake?
What would you think of a modern adaption of the movie Rebel without a Cause? It wouldn't have any affect on the original movie so I cant see why it would be a bad idea. Obviously differences would be in technology and drugs, as cell phones/social media/internet might play a role in a modern adaption. Also, probably more drug/alcohol use. I think it would be nice to see a modern take on it. The protagonist Jimmy Stark (played by James Dean in the original) would be portrayed much different as the tough guy image has evolved over the years, and it would be cool to see how that would be. Also high school and the whole social hierarchy has changed too. Any thoughts?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-20-2013, 03:47 AM

there are several things working against a remake:
1. real film lovers usually hate it when people remake a classic. they usually aren't any good. and, why can't hollywood take a movie with a great idea but was poorly executed and remake that? why remake something that was very well done the first time?

2. most high school movies are, in one way or another, a generic riff on rebel without a cause. the outsider tries to fit in and it goes wrong. most of them aren't memorable. so a modern remake isn't going to be very unique, UNLESS they keep the dark ending. but then you run into another problem...

3. ...and a movie about an unpopular high schooler going on a shooting spree is going to be very politically unpopular right now. even if it was made, its entirely possible you couldn't find a distributor for it.

Ads

My take on it is that that movie is not really a good movie. What makes it a classic is James Dean. Since he only made three movies, each one is important all out of proportion to their quality. He was a very photogenic and charismatic actor. Not only that, but he lived at a time when naturalistic acting was a fad and he played the character in a gritty but romantic way. It's possible...Leonardo DiCaprio started his career in that way and Johnny Depp, too. James DeFranco starred as James Dean in a movie when he was starting out. The movie really depends on the actor, though.

I believe that the James Stark of today would have to be evil so as to get any notice by the young kids of today unfortunately. But a groundbreaking/blockbuster/fresh new take on the original would be nothing short of a miracle!!!