This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why do online portals insist on forcing you to be recognizable?
02-21-2013, 12:12 AM
Why do online portals insist on forcing you to be recognizable?
Sometimes I need to express opinions that I feel deeply but do not really want to be linked to because the opinion is not popular. But sometimes I've accidentally posted using my full name or picture. And then they don't let me edit it or delete it!

For example, I posted on one website using my twitter, and my photo showed up. So I went to twitter and deleted my photo from my twitter account....but whatever I posted on that website still has my photo attached :-( No way to get it down.

Also, youtube won't let me chaneg my username...and the huffington post forced me to link my facebook account and then they wouldn't let me change my name :-(

Why do they not let you change your name or take your pic down? It just seems to manipulative on their part.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-2013, 12:20 AM

It seems to be a way to enforce community guidelines. A way to say - own your opinions and to reduce the inflammatory comments people make because they believe there are no consequences.

It seems those comments create an environment that reduces the popularity and credibility of those publications.

There are plenty of sites like topix that seem to not care WHAT people say.

Ads

Fuck them, don't use their shit and let them crumble.
I noticed it's a trend now to "expose" everyone on the net.
It's part of the "Let's regulate the net" agenda every govt is pushing - they can't really work their magic behind closed doors without censorship.

*cough* wikileaks *cough*

It is pretty ubiquitous. If you don't want to be identified don't link to other accounts that contain your true identity. If you already have then try emailing the webmaster and asking for the post to be removed or your account to be deleted. They will often comply. Failing that contact a lawyer.

"It just seems to manipulative on their part."

No evidence for this, it's just your victimhood mentality kicking in again, Madge.

Read the Terms of service and Privacy policy of each website before using it; that's called being responsible and accountable for your actions. If not, it's no one's fault but your own for whatever happens to your data you personally or your browser/OS/ISP/machine sent.

Create a pseudonym account in Twitter, Facebook, etc. That way you can still comment and not have anybody know it's you. Just don't be a douchebag about it and troll folks.

It is for tracking you. Plain and simple. The only way to avoid it is not to use them.