This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why are my task bar and desktop icons gone?
02-21-2013, 08:16 PM
Why are my task bar and desktop icons gone?
They're gone, like when I turn on the computer it just shows the wallpaper but not the desktop icons or the task bar. I have no idea what to do. I need help. I have Windows X Professional. My computer is Dell. I've tried a bunch of things, only one thing seemed to work, I opened up task manager and I managed to open Firefox and somehow everything went back to normal(or so I thought) I tried to restart it, I thought the computer would work fine but it went back to not having the desktop icons or the task bar. So I really need help? Btw: I have Norton Security Suite. I also tried Safe mode with networking, unfortunately it didn't work it was just black with safe mode around the screen. How do I get my computer to go back to normal? Please Help Smile

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-2013, 08:24 PM

Hello, I am Nitika from the Dell Social Media outreach team.

Please follow the below mentioned steps to fix this issue

1. Ctrl + Alt + Del to bring up Task Manager.
2. Click "New Task..." then click "Browse..."
3. Click My Computer on the left panel. Click C:\ - WINDOWS.
4. Navigate to explorer.exe, right click and copy explorer. Rename it to explorer1 (.exe)
5. Hit Cancel to go back to Create New Task window. Type regedit.exe and click OK.

6. In the registry editor, navigate to the following Key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

With the Winlogon key selected, look in the right side window for the
'Shell" value.

Double click Shell. In the Value Data box, you should see Explorer.exe. Change it to
explorer1.exe and click OK.

Exit the registry editor and reboot the computer.

If in case you do face any challenges in the process, please feel free to contact me directly by sending me an email or by through a reply to this blog.

We would recommend you do not post your private information on a public forum.

Thanks & Regards
DELL_NITIKA_K
Dell Social Media Responder

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply