This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to network effectively?
02-26-2013, 08:23 PM
How to network effectively?
I'm currently on the hunt for a new job. I've been told that only 5-10% of all job openings make it to the classified ads and online job sites. The rest are filled through internal contacts or through networking. How do I do that efficiently and effectively though? I graduated college in 2006, so I'm still pretty new to the world of work, and I don't even know for sure what career path I really want to go down, much less what contacts to make to get there. All the online articles I've read seem to assume you already at least have some idea what you're doing, and I don't. I've got (what I consider) a pretty good resume writing system down, but I'm considering going to a professional resume service for help. I guess my question is, once I have the winning resume, who do I talk to? Where are these infamous contacts that I need to be making and how do I get started?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-26-2013, 08:31 PM

HINT: Do you loke a particular company in your field? call them up and ask for the HR department. You can ask them to fax you/email you their current job openings.

Do you know someone that works in the company of your dreams? Ask her to give you a POC to the HR department or to invite you to one of their social events. That way, you can meet people in yoru field and they can put a face to the resume.

That's how I got my dream job, Igot there for free drinks and a meal and landed me a JOB in my dream corporation. As far as my friends,...she got fired. Not funny, but true.

Good luck

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply