This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can my Mac get a virus from an infected memory stick?
02-27-2013, 04:00 AM
Can my Mac get a virus from an infected memory stick?
Okay, I'm new to this- I just got a Mac, and I'm infamous for my uncanny ability to always catch viruses. Regardless, there are a few music documents on my old, infected netbook that I really need- would transferring the files from one computer to the other (windows netbook to macbook pro) via memory stick infect or harm my computer?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2013, 04:06 AM

No. Microsoft viruses will call on key Microsoft features while Mac is mostly UNIX-based. That's the most simple way I can put it. The only virus I know for mac from a USB device is the Newton virus too so... I'd say that you're safe.

Ads

02-27-2013, 04:10 AM

99.999% chance no

Unless the creator of the virus anticipated the files being transfered to a mac and created a subroutine to run when plugged in to detect OS, and install, etc, etc.

You should be fine, even if there is a hidden root kit lol. It would look at your file system and think "wtf?"
02-27-2013, 04:20 AM

If the source code of the virus was written for only a PC, which it most likely was, then no, the virus should have no affect on your new Mac. Virus coders hardly ever write viruses for Macs because of the difficulty of the task. You shouldn't be able to get a virus on a Mac, but just to make sure I would download AVG free antivirus. the best free one out there.
02-27-2013, 04:24 AM

It depends entirely on what viruses you have on your windows computer. The vast majority of viruses will only run on a windows machine but there are a rising number of viruses that can now also run on osx as well as viruses made specifically to target a mac.

Your best bet is to run an anti-virus program on you windows machine to see what it is infected with. Then research if they automatically install themselves to flash drives as you insert them. If this is not the case then unless you move file that was originally infected with the virus you will be very unlikely to transfer it to your new machine.

You should also check to see if those viruses even run in osx.

Also it is worth noting that if you run windows via bootcamp you will still be able to get all the regular windows viruses, you aren't offered any special protection purely because you are using a mac.

The best way to avoid viruses though is safer use of you computer. Do not click on links that friends send you in IM without warning. Do not click on facebook posts similar to "OMG I can not believe she took this photo" that links you to a http://bit.ly page. Don't attempt to illegally download, stream or otherwise acquire media (music, movies, games, etc.).

So in short yes it can. However, it depends entirely on the virus you are dealing with.

In response to other posters. There have certainly been mac viruses in the past 5 years and they are getting smarter about deploying them. Here is a news story with a video of a mac virus out there in the wild right now! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpnWncJH-bk this one is particularly clever because it knows if you are using a windows or mac os x
02-27-2013, 04:24 AM

Since there hasn't been a released MacOS X virus for 5 years (last one was in 2006), the answer is no.