This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MOVING and JOB HUNTING?
02-27-2013, 07:10 AM
MOVING and JOB HUNTING?
I am trying to move from where I live now but I want to make sure all my ducks are in a row so that its a smooth stress free move. I have a 5yr old and I am a single mother so the decision to move is huge and I feel like everything needs to be legit before I pack up and go. My questions: do you think it is better to find a job before relocating or relocate then find a job? I also can't seem to find a decent site for job hunting besides Craigslist. Are there any other resources besides Craigslist?

Before I had my daughter I would just wing it when I moved and things turned out fine, but now that I have her I like everything to be more secure and stable. The only problem I am having with trying to get a job before moving is how to correctly explain to potential employers what my situation is so that they don't write me off. Any advise here would be great. Thanks a bunch! Oh and I am a graphic designer but I also have a ton of spa and salon management experience, I am applying for it all.

Also, I am willing to pack up and move if I am hired. Should I mention that in the body of the email? I don't want to turn off potential employers because I am not local yet.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2013, 07:19 AM

ok

Ads

02-27-2013, 07:25 AM

You get a JOB first otherwise no landlord will rent to you.
You send your resume and add the line "Willing to Relocate"
02-27-2013, 07:31 AM

You didn't mention what kind of work you do, but are there any temporary staffing or employment agencies in your new location? If so, start now sending them your resume and getting names of contacts there. Because staffing agency personnel change often, be sure to also get emails and any social media links too. If you have Skype or Google voice, make use of the free phone calls and call them - it gives them a chance to put a voice to the resume.

Also, start going to the newspaper site of your new location. Sure it's old school but it gives you the day to day reality of your new location. I'd even sign up for email notification from the city or town so you know of anything that will get you more familiar with the area. Often, signing up for the new area job sites wouldn't hurt either.

Last thing, does the company you work for have a store/office in your new location? If so, apply with them too. Call and let HR in the new location know that you are looking to relocate. Same as the agencies, get a name and contact information. Be aware that some stores are called different things in different areas - Safeway in WA is Von's in Nevada.

Good luck.