This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Historically were Eastern Religions esp Buddhism far more open toward LBGT than the Abrahamic Faiths?
02-28-2013, 12:30 AM
Historically were Eastern Religions esp Buddhism far more open toward LBGT than the Abrahamic Faiths?
I notice theres a trend in the West esp. Europe.

Westerners now bash the Abrahamic religion esp. the Roman Catholic Church. They attack the Abrahamic Faiths for their bigotry and hatred towards the LBGT (esp. Homosexuals). They indeed now show a bias towards Eastern Religions-especially Buddhism-for their incredible accepting tolerance and openness towards the LBGT.

In their eyes, Buddhism and other Eastern religions are mor ehuman because they don't (at least in their view) have a single trace of anti-LBGT.

In fact I remember in a chat room a Thai girl said she was Atheist but her family were Buddhists. A Portuguese man also in the chat room commented, saying that "Buddhism is the way to go". Prior to this chat in an earlier chat that took place about 5 months earlier, this same Portuguese guy took part in an anti-Catholic bashing discussion in the chatroom and he even told a guy who posted anti-Catholic things "Yes Preach". In his view Catholicism was all evil and one of the reasons I remember had to do with their intolerance towards LBGT (he also holds anegative opinion of Americans because of our we are not open of LBGT as in Europe).

I don't know much about Buddhism nor its history but I'm taking the Western POV witha big grain of salt. Mainly because most Westerners I've met who hate the Abrahamic Faiths for anti-LBGT intolerance don't really have an understanding of Buddhism outside of popular stereotypes and cliches in the Media. Most of what they know about Buddhism comes from TV Shows and News Talk Shows. ALmost none of them have ever picked up one basic text of Buddhism and read it from start to end, none of them have ever visited a Buddhist Monestary, and not a single of them know anything about Buddhism's backstory and history outside of the basic story of Siddarhata Guatama abandoning all the fortune and his position as King to live a life of Austerity and later develop what we now know as Buddhism.

They don't know any Buddhist practicse outside of meditation and chanting.

The same can be said about their views on other Eastern Religions they claim that are far mooorrre tolerant towards LBGT than the Abrahamic Faiths ever were such as Shintoiism and Confucianism. They never read any text of this other lesser known Eastern Religions let alone visited a temple.

I'm curious what was the reality?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2013, 12:39 AM

In ancient times many gods were toileted by most people. With the rise of Judaism the concept of a single jealous God gained traction. Modern Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are all based on this concept and none of them allow any other "god" into their theology. And the single "God" is pretty specific about things like sex (and gender).

In Asia (especially China) you still see a much more tolerant attitude about about other "gods," and this sometimes translates into a more tolerant view of social interaction. Most people in East Asia do not see any problem with being Buddhist, Taoist, Animist, Shinto, Muslim, AND Christian all at the same time.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply