This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How easy is it to change your opinion of people?
02-28-2013, 02:52 AM
How easy is it to change your opinion of people?
There are two people currently in the news who I used to think were both plonkers with nothing to offer the world outside of their own self interests. Because of their stand on social issues in the recent press and TV news I have completely changed my opinion of both of them, and now they have gone right to the top of my list of people worthy of respect and admiration.

Do we judge people too easily on first impressions, or are first impressions the best guide to long term personal assessment?

One of the people I'm referring to works in the media and the other in the military. Can you guess who they are?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2013, 02:54 AM

First impressions aren't the best guide to long term personal assessment of course, but it can't be helped. Everyone factors in the first impression to some degree. Depends on the situation too. Sometimes first impressions are just the thing to work with. Other times, not.

In the context of a media figure or military leader, I wouldn't go on first impressions. Research them fully before making up your mind completely. Often times the media takes statements out of context.

Ads

02-28-2013, 03:01 AM

first impressions you can NOT go on , I have found out once you get to know someone for a long time you see things you never saw before. never judge a book by its cover is a true statement

no, I cant guess who that is , I dont watch t.v. at all ( dont even have t.v. hook up)
02-28-2013, 03:06 AM

I only pave the way, it's up to them to walk through my path of guidance or not!
02-28-2013, 03:11 AM

First impressions are, most of the time, staged acts that keep you from seeing who the person really is. People often "put on their best face" when meeting others for the first time. Now, in the case of David Petraeus(I believe this is who you are referring to), most people only see what the media has shown/told of his extramarital affair and have condemn him for it. What about all the things he did in his long (1974-2011) military career?
I am glad you have decided to look at a broader perspective of things, rather than hold on to one incident. I have no idea about the media person.