This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Americans Only: Do you find other people's accounts of our society based on t.v. shows insane?
02-28-2013, 06:57 AM
Americans Only: Do you find other people's accounts of our society based on t.v. shows insane?
Other nationalities that come in here, you probably will get your feelings hurt. So, you might as well just float on by.

Americans: I see so many people from other nationalities on yahoo answers on twitter, when I was on facebook as well base full theories on how Americans behave based on a fiction based television show or a rag at a news stand. To me, it says something more about their inability to research and use logic more than it says about us.
I agree with everyone here. Edgar, I dont really get you fully. Most Americans who live here know THEM they may not know the idiosyncrasies of every facet of government, as no other nationality would either, but they know THEM. At any rate, I saw another post that stated..."Are American high school students like they are on television?" If we thought like them, we'd think everyone was living like Harry Potter in Britain, Aladdin in the Middle East, and an anime show for Japan.
Edgar I slightly agree with you on this point, we shouldnt expect them to know us. But their position that they DO know us based on viewing a partial article or watching a sitcom...is what makes it strange to me. I would never think I knew their countrymen based on a segment on an article. But at any rate, I am glad that you came in here. Kim: I think that we have more dissenting voices which allows for us to not only question ourselves at every and any moment of the day..we question what's presented to us and try to investigate it for ourselves. But thanks, that got me when I saw.."Are American high school students like they are in the movies?"
Asians and Latinos are Americans if they were born here. In fact, some Latinos are probably more American than the Spainards that colonized that area and then the Europeans. They are what makes America ..America. I love them. Actually I love all of our cultures.
When Mexico attained its Independence from Spain in 1822 all Americans were excited. It was nearly the Fiftieth Anniversity of American Independence and now Independence was raging through Latin America like a prairie fire. Americans rightly looked at this as following its example. And Americans expected great things of these newly Independent countries. It would be a new New World.

Americans expected great things of Mexico. At the time of Independence Mexico had a larger population in an even larger land area. Mexico had more resources, the wealth of large silver mines, a more organized government and what seemed like unlimited potential.

Even by 1840 many European countries expected the U.S. to lose any war with Mexico. So it was a surprise when in 1846 the U.S. invaded Mexico, defeated its army and took what is now the American Southwest. England and France may have known of Mexico's weakness, both their ships patrolled the west coast to take advantage of any opportunity to gr
Latinos, Asians, and the likes...that's what makes us ..us. http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bearflag/mexico.html
Cephalop? I didnt click on your full name so I am assuming that it's correct. Fox News (and again, you really dont know what we live here) is a small fraction of the ideologies displayed by our country. I am saying your entire country for the most part (wherever you are from) get most of your facts based on idiotic baseless sitcoms or stereotypes, that's one. In addition, our surveys are quite the "shoot them in the foot" surveys. I am not saying we do NOT have people that are like your general population, I am simply saying that your entire community has a tendency to base your facts based on popular media and no hardcore evidence. You just spout off things that you heard, fragments of what you read, and then repeat it like its gospel. And I beg you to start learning that our surveys, our polls and our articles can be sponsored for a bigger cause. Because you dont seem to realize that your news is slanted, we obviously do and we inform you of it, therefore yo
Stats are another thing that you guys cling to. Who did they poll? Why not start researching beyond the curtain. Do you know that if they polled me and my neighbor and I didnt know and my neighbor did, that it would be 50%. I know for a fact that there are various tiers in our educational system, however, I am clearly stating that Americans are not so deluded and arrogant to believe that what they see on TELEVISION is in fact how ALL the society lives.
And you know of Fox news because WE tell you that they are biased. You wouldnt know it if we didnt share that with you. As I said, for the most part ..most people from other countries base their entire assessment of how Americans live on cartoons, television shows, magazine clippings and social media posts. I find that alarming. And I will stand by if you were to put American students near your students that Americans would be more open to saying NOT ALL are like this versus your countrymen ..wherever you are from.
Oh and about our well travelled, let's clear up this stereotype. Your countries are all broken up in one area, so if you go to another area in your region, you are in another country. We have states, that is UNITED..so if we were to count the same amount of traveling from one area to another, we would be well traveled right here. That's one. Secondly, Americans are not well traveled because this IS the place for everyone to be. You come here for opportunities. Lastly, we are thee most adventurous group of people on this planet and continue to make headway on every invention that your country duplicates or then copies afterwards. And I would love to see who you (or what magazine) polled there when you say that we are NOT well traveled.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply