This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2012?! How did the myth start? Why do so many people believe it?
02-28-2013, 08:30 AM
2012?! How did the myth start? Why do so many people believe it?
Since the world is supposed to end in 2 days, some thoughts sparked my curiosity. How was the date picked and why is the world going to "end" on that date? Also, WHY do so many people believe it? Is there REALLY a chance it could happen?

If you are also interested in this topic, I advise you to read this article from NASA i found:

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2013, 08:32 AM

something to do with the Mayan calender ending on Dec 21 2012

Ads

02-28-2013, 08:41 AM

The world will not END!!! This will explain why.

So lets start at the beginning: Who were the Mayans? BBC is quick to point out we should ask: Who ARE the Mayans - as there are several million Mayans walking around today doing normal shit like not predicting the end of the world as we know it.

The Mayan civilization dates back to about 2000 BCE, by about 300 BCE they had become what people today tend to think of when they think of Mayan - However this civilization didn't just disappear, as Hollywood has us believe. From about 900 AD the Mayans went into decline, likely due to local disputes. Then Europe came and shit got real bad.

What's the dilly with 2012 Mayan dudes? The Mayans had several different calendars based around agriculture cycles but also what is know as the "Long Count Calendar" (5,126 of our modern years - remember these year we use now are relatively modern ). So as some of you smart classy bitches have figured out - 2012 is when that Long Count Calendar runs out (YOU: "what about leap years? ME: Who knows, it's all bullshit any ways).

However, this calendar was likely created about 2000 years ago - not 5,126, so there is some evidence of what happened the last time the clock was re-sett - fuck all, that's what happened. The Mayan's built a few statues, but as professor Hammond (Boston University) says "not many". In fact there is no evidence at all that suggests that the Mayan gave two shits about the last re-sett and even less about 2012.

So why is my damn Facebook feed full of crap about this? Well doomsday visions are a pretty Old World kind of a thing - Christians LOVE doomsday. Exhibit A: the Bible, Exhibit B: William Miller , Exhibit C: They year 2000 - so it kind of looks like this whole mess got started from the Western World fixation and tradition with the end of the world. Factors such as the technological advancement of the Mayans compared to other indigenous people encountered by inquisidores, and this myth that the Maya civilization just vanished into magic pixie dust and unicorn glitter farts of whatever likely also helped to bring this apocalypse hoopla about too.

So what are the Mayan people planning 21st December? "People are gearing up for this to b a great tourism moment" says Matthew Restell.

So CHA-CHING Mayan duded.
02-28-2013, 08:46 AM

I've been trying to track the source of part of this rumor, at least the part about the 3 days of darkness. And I think I have figured out where it comes from.

Last year, NASA was talking about solar storms and solar flares, and the possibility that they can knock out communication and possibly even take out a power grid. No big deal. Its happened before.

But some people have misunderstood, and taken it to mean that they were predicting that the power would be knocked out for several days, causing a blackout.

And more people have misunderstood, and taken it to be that there would be a world wide power outage. A global blackout.

And then people have tied it to two end of the world myths, one being the catholic "three days of darkness" and the other being the Mayan calender ending (which reminds me, my calendar runs out at the end of december, and I need to get one for 2013).

In all, the whole thing is just a bunch of idiots panicking about some misinformation.
02-28-2013, 08:48 AM

a combination of the fact that the mayan calender ends, misunderstanding about is is predicting the end of the world, the media, and gullible people