This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I find a job when you have no marketable skills that people care about?
02-28-2013, 09:18 AM
How do I find a job when you have no marketable skills that people care about?
I have Marketing BS degree and I have taken Photoshop courses and I teach myself code, but I do not have the confidence to compete with all of the experts out there because I ma still learning and I would hate to take on new clients and disappoint them and get terminated. I do not like sales but I do enjoy working ina nd around computers, but I am not as smart as I might think. When you look at my resume it is guppy with most of my background working in and around the warehouse(which doesn't pay and I do not enjoy it). I want to change direction, but I cannot seem to get the ball rolling. It seems like the world has forgotten about me, and I just woke up from a three year long coma. How can I get salaried doing what I like to do. There is just too much competition out there I cannot get noticed by the companies that matter. I would like to go into business myself, but every time I try it seems like some scummier wants to jerk me out of money I don't have. I even volunteered down at the American Red Cross and the Humane Society and that is even competitive for volunteer opportunities. What has this world come to when a man cannot be productive anymore. I can't wait til Obama is out of office and we get a real leader in office again. I am suffering here.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2013, 09:26 AM

It's not Obama's fault you claim to have no marketable skills--that was your own doing. The president has no say over your personal choices.

A Marketing BS degree is actually marketable--I'm assuming you did not complete any internships during your college career, so it only makes sense you're having a hard time finding work. You have to decide if you want to work in-house at an organization or as an employee at an agency. For marketing work, you will find that products always need to be sold. I don't know how old you are, but you should consider looking into networking events where you can get work. Perhaps meet with a career counselor. If you like Photoshop, you should take some courses or self-teach yourself to make a portfolio.

You seem to be under the false impression that having a college degree entitles you to a job.

Ads

02-28-2013, 09:29 AM

A degree in marketing can land you a good job. As you are interested in technology side also, learning Salesforce will get you a job as a sales analyst. You wont be doing sales here, you will just do sales forecasting and analysis. This could also get you into marketing analytics.

You can also learn SAP which is a resource planning software and is a must for management level jobs.

Digital marketing is also a very young, promising field you can enter into. There are courses to learn SEO, paid advertising, social media marketing. These jobs pay well as the digital marketing is the latest industrial trend.

You can just go to job sites like linkedin.com and indeed.com and find plenty of internships and entry level jobs to get you started.

With a marketing degree, you can enter almost any field. You can even work as a copywriter, PR, business development executive.

Good luck. To compensate for your lack of experience, learn a technology like SAP or salesforce that's being used now, do an internship and you are set. You have done marketing, so now market yourself Smile
02-28-2013, 09:36 AM

Your degree is pretty sound. You just need to do two things:
1. Do an internship in a nice Marketing firm to know how things work in an organization.
2. Develop some confidence. You can also use some psychological sessions which will help you gain some confidence. Working in a company needs confidence and you need to have confidence in your abilities.
02-28-2013, 09:38 AM

Like the others have said, you have to get some experience if you want to land a marketing job.

Try elance and odesk and do some projects for really cheap, or even free. Explain that the reason you're doing the job for so little money is that you're a recent graduate trying to build up a portfolio. Tell them up front that it would mean a lot to you if they gave you a recommendation if they like your work. That way you have both a portfolio and some recommendations after a short amount of time.

Next create a LinkedIn profile to showcase the marketing work you've done. Describe the projects you worked on and what you learned at each one. Employers check out your page so get this up sooner not later.

Good luck!
02-28-2013, 09:45 AM

A résumé is a self-advertisement that, when done properly, shows how your skills, experience, and achievements match the requirements of the job you want. Your resume should be updated for every job you apply for. Be sure to update your skills section as well as your work history. You don't have to tell your readers everything about each job. Focus on the highlights; keep your document to 1 - 2 pages in cases outside of academic and research settings. Use formatting techniques like bullets and short paragraphs to enhance readability. You don't need to include everything you ever did. http://www.resumewritingservicesreviews.net/