This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Honestly will a MacBook Pro never get a virus?
02-28-2013, 11:30 AM
Honestly will a MacBook Pro never get a virus?
I have a MacBook Pro and I love it that was my 15th birthday present and it's amazing I'm jw is it really impossible not to get a virus with a MacBook Pro

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2013, 11:33 AM

Computers do not get viruses. Operating systems can get viruses.

You can install Windows on your Mac. Then Windows can get viruses. There are more than one million known viruses for Windows (although many of them are old and not seen much anymore).

Mac OS X has not yet been damaged by any virus, but you could accidentally install a Trojan horse app or worm. These cannot damage the OS files themselves, but could trick you into buying something fake, or could capture keystrokes of passwords and send them to a remote computer.

Definitions:
-- virus: software that attaches itself to another app and can self-replicate.
-- worm: software that is unattached, self-replicating, self-sending (via network or attached disk).
-- Trojan horse: software that appears to be desirable, but is not.
-- rootkit: software designed to hide processes or programs and enables continued privileged access to a computer.

To protect your computer from malware of any type...
-- Always accept the automatic Software Updates from Apple (DO NOT turn off automatic updates! Duh!)
-- Get any of the free anti-virus apps linked below. Sophos is the slowest to scan. I use iAntivirus. There is no real difference in their ability to find and isolate malware. All of these companies become aware of any new malware overnight, so they are all updates right away.

Ads

02-28-2013, 11:40 AM

Hello,

It is not impossible to get virus on your mac book, but it is true that windows are more vulnerable to virusses, because windows main programming level is basic, which is a thousand times easier than what mac uses and not many people know it unlike basics which most programmers are fammiliar with. While this all is true you can download virusses through things like emails, spam links off facebook anf other things.
02-28-2013, 11:50 AM

It's possible but unlikely. If you install Windows it's likely unless you lock it down before you connect to the net. What more can I say? If you run OSX and you're not foolish you'll be fine.