This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is it rude to delete a friend's comment on your Facebook wall if it contains profanity?
02-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Is it rude to delete a friend's comment on your Facebook wall if it contains profanity?
A friend of mine was deeply hurt and very offended that I would go and delete their comment and do so without telling them. The comment had a bit of profanity in it and included something of an inside joke that could have offended one group of people if they hadn't seen the particular movie my friend was referring to. Meanwhile, I have several friends in such group, and a few of my friends' children as Facebook friends. As this was a part of the Facebook profile that can't believe edited to allow only specific viewers, I simply deleted the comment. Is there some web etiquette I should know about, or is my friend super-sensitive?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2013, 12:29 PM

Your friend is being super sensitive, just tell him/her that you prefer to not have wall posts or comments with profanity in them. It's your Facebook, you can have whatever you want on it.

Ads

02-28-2013, 12:36 PM

You did the right thing. It is your friend who was insensitive by posting such a comment.
02-28-2013, 12:45 PM

No it is not rude . If it had profaanity it was cleary the right thing to do
02-28-2013, 12:55 PM

Its ur account I would delete it it is not rude
02-28-2013, 12:57 PM

Your friend is being an idiot. Your Facebook wall is YOURS not theirs. Second of all, it is a public presentation of you online. Your online reputation is yours to maintain, not theirs. Not only do some people's employers follow and penalize based on wall content, but as you said there are many people who would have been offended to see that you kept that on your wall.

Your tactful friend should have thought twice before posting something so profane on YOUR public wall. And really, was it THAT important that they need to feel offended before they can admit they made a mistake? Your friend is being immature and selfish. Concisely explain to them what it means to have a mature reputation/image and then move on.