This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to find a Hunting mentor?
10-12-2012, 08:04 AM
How to find a Hunting mentor?
I am relatively new to North Carolina and live in Mooresville, NC within Iredell County. I am interested in learning how to hunt. I have already completed the NC Hunter's Education Course and was wondering about obtaining a mentor to teach/guide me on becoming an independent hunter. I looked at the "Hats On" campaign with the NC Wildlife Resources Commission for mentorship, but the program seems more geared towards younger people and I am an adult. After contacting them, It was suggested that I post my question on different social media sites. If anyone can provide me with any direction or information on how to find a teacher to show me the ropes (or take me under their wing themselves) I would be very grateful. Thank you for your time.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2012, 08:12 AM

Although i do not live in north carolina. I can tell you a few good things about hunting and what to do. The hats on program was a good place to start but i would go to a local gun range or shooting club near you. Chances are you will have a much better time learning about firearms there than on some web site. Plus you will get to make some good friends there i imagine. These guys can also teach you how to shoot properly

Also i advise you to take a hunter's safety course. You can take it online but i usually recommend taking it in person with an instructor so that you can ask him some questions later after the class. I also recommend that a field course be part of your hunter's education, so that you have somewhat of an idea of what you are doing when you are hunting and when you are approached by the game warden.

Now for the fun part. There are two ways you can do this

1. Gun hunt (i.e rifles, pistols, shotguns)- I recommend this for beginner hunters because there is a much higher chance of success. And you get the chance to inspect your target at distance through the scope.

2. Bow hunting- this is my personal favorite. you get a chance to get up close and personal with your target. I like this way because it is a real test of skill.

Finally since you did not mention if you are a beginner at shooting rifles im going to suggest that you get a .22 caliber gun. This is so you can form good habits for when you step it up to bigger rounds If you are familiar with them then please disregard those last two sentences.

Now the last thing. When i take someone new onto my property it is MANDATORY that he or she sits WITH ME in the stand that i am going to be hunting in. I do this with every person i know for a fact has not hunted on where i go just so i can make sure they know what they are doing, even if they have hunted before on other property. I suggest that you go with someone you trust. that person can be from your gun club, your family, friends, or place of employment. I also suggest that you sit with them in the blind they hunt in so you can get some experience in a real life situation for the first few times you go.

Hope that clears up a lot of questions for you. and do not hesitate to ask here if you have any more. I will be happy to answer them as best i can.

Good luck

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply