This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Opinions on gun control as a social issue?
02-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Opinions on gun control as a social issue?
I'm writing an essay on social justice. I am choosing to focus on gun control specifically. I am broadening the existing definition of gun control by looking at different viewpoints.

What is your viewpoint/opinion on cun control as a social justice issue?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2013, 04:18 PM

1200 people will die today because of cigarettes. That's a 50 to 1 kill ratio of cigarettes to guns. So if human health and welfare is your honest concern, why does a gun have to be involved before the issue is sexy enough to warrant attention? Just wondering...

Ads

02-28-2013, 04:24 PM

The only "gun problem" in the US is elitist politicians who are armed or have armed guards and then say they don't want citizens protecting themselves. They are either flat-out hypocrites, or can't trust their own selves being armed, and think everyone else is as psychotic as they are.

That is EXACTLY WHY the 2A was written: so there is not "armed mob rule." What do you think a Government is when the populace is defenseless against it? Just to be clear: I am not referring to armed people "overthrowing a government;" I'm referring to governments who use their armed force to suppress their populace.

The goal is not to deter crime or end injuries. They are ONLY interested in controlling the populace. Anti-gunners want everyone *else* to surrender, while maintaining armed guards, police and military for themselves. -- How do I know? They ONLY make a fuss about victims of “gun violence,” but ignore the (usually unarmed) victims of “plain ordinary violence.”

It is a basic human right of every human being to be able to adequately defend our selves, families, homes, communities, and countries. People who want to repress or prohibit that right either want to harm or control others, or they are morons. There is no rational argument that anyone can come up with in favor of the assault, battery, rape, and murder of disarmed victims.
02-28-2013, 04:30 PM

Death by gun is a more sensational story for the media so it gets a lot more coverage that DUI/car accident deaths that happen day in and day out. The motto "If it bleeds, it leads," is how our media outlets work. Gun control puts restrictions on people who legally and safely operate firearms. The people that commit these mass killings do not simply purchase these weapons at the local sporting goods store. They either get them from the streets, or "borrow" them from their parents, in the case of Sandy Hook.
I think you should cover the 2nd Amendment in your paper, and try to understand the context with which the Founding Fathers wrote it. It was provided as a right to the states and the people to keep and bear arms should the central government become to oppressive. The Supreme Court case US v. Miller covers this extensively. Although Miller did not win his case, the court did agree that the people should retain the right to bear arms similar to those used by the military should the need arise to fight against them in a state militia.
Even if you make a pro gun control argument for your paper, it should remain a states rights issue, since the 2nd Amendment says that the States shall maintain the militia, therefore it should be up to the individual state to regulate its own gun laws. The Constitution exists to protect the states and the people from the federal government and to preserve the rights of liberty, equality, and the pursuit of happiness.
Additionally the Tenth Amendment states that powers that are not granted to the United States Government, are to be retained by the states. Since the constitution does not grant the United States any further power to limit firearms, it should then be a power expressly given to each state.The federal government does not have the constitutional authority to ban any weapon that could be considered a firearm.
Good luck with your paper. I hope i provided you with some useful information. Whatever side you take, do your research and make a well argued case. Its too easy to just say guns are bad...if you think that explain why with facts and solid resources.