This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Adult horse riding without show?
03-01-2013, 02:21 AM
Adult horse riding without show?
I did some horse riding when I was younger & I'd actually like to get back into it. I don't want to do shows or anything though, just learn how to ride. And I don't want to own a horse either. Does this exist?
I know it's called riding lessons, but when I took them when I was younger it was part of the course to have to do shows.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2013, 02:29 AM

Yes, it's called Riding Lessons? If there's a equestrian center near you, give them a ring and you can arrange riding lessons to learn how to ride a horse.

Ads

Yep, it exists at nearly every public equestrian center. Just call up a local barn and ask them about there riding lessons. Usually they come in packages. In example, you will pay for a set amount of lessons for a set price. Sometimes you will have to take them the same day every week, or maybe your barn will allow you to call and schedule a lesson whenever, which is what my barn lets me do. Good luck and happy riding!

Sounds like you were on a competition team when you were younger. This time just look for a barn that offers just lessons and have fun!

Call around and find someone to get some lessons. If you are interested in trail riding look into a stable that will give lessons to prepare you for that. Most english barns don't trail ride much so look for a western based stable if that's what you are interested in. Most farm stores (tractor supply, country max etc) will have bulliten board with cards and flyers for stables. Call around go check them out and have fun!

You can find places that give riding lessons without showing. Also, another option would be to partial lease a horse. That way you can go ride the same horse all of the time. Most partial leases would operate in a way that you would be able to ride that particular horse whenever it was not being used by owner or stable and you would pay so much per month. Usually half the cost of boarding your own or full lease. The care of said horse would be the responsibility of horse owner or stable. A lot of stables that offer half or partial leases will give you an option of changing horses also if the first one doesn't work out for you.

There are some barns that are really into showing, but I find that the majority of barns offering lessons are not. They may have a show team for people who want to show, or offer fun shows at the farm for students who want to try it, but it's totally optional. Many smaller farms really do not offer shows at all. Just look for a laid-back, mostly adult barn where you feel comfortable.

Now I teach middle school, but I used to make my living as a barn manager and riding instructor. When I ran my own place, I had a couple students who wanted to show, so I would take them to shows and coach them. But unless the students asked me about showing, I never pushed it. Of all my students, I only had 3 who were interested in showing. When I joined a larger, fancier barn as assistant instructor, I taught the novice and casual riders. We held 1-2 fun shows a year at the farm for those who wanted to try it, but nobody had to show. People who were really into showing took their lessons with the head instructor, who did push showing and attended at least 1 show a month.

Most facilities that offer riding lessons don't pressure you to show. When you go shopping for a lesson barn, make sure you make it clear that showing is not your goal.

Any trainer worth their salt would offer lesson for you and your horse or provide a horse if you don't have to that is tailored to what YOU want to do. Showing is only one model in a whole line of products. You choose the one that suits you.

Riding stables have instructors and lesson horses. Have fun!