This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What if someone know my ip?
03-01-2013, 09:20 AM
What if someone know my ip?
I was on garrys mod (A pc game through a program called steam) and this guy said he knows my ip and steam id, and said he could access my facebook and ruin my "gaming life" forever, i'd like to know whether this is true, btw i have a good internet secuirity and firewall.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2013, 09:25 AM

Oh dear. You are so screwed.

Ads

03-01-2013, 09:33 AM

No, it's not true at all. In fact, whenever you access any website, you are already sending your IP address to the website's server.

Nothing will happen, ignore him/her.
03-01-2013, 09:41 AM

Hahaha are you american?first he CAN see your ip (if hes admin)and can see where you live but cant access facebook by this.get anonymous proxy or VPN
03-01-2013, 09:42 AM

Lol, no hes just pretending he knows how to hack so he can scare you. You can't do much knowing someone else's IP except know their general location and how far away they are from you. I can easily look up an IP by certain apps or even entering a url into cmd command prompt. They can do nothing with your IP. Tell them if they want to hack you, they would have to use hacking software as an IP is only the address networks use to identify you, and holds no security information whatsoever.
03-01-2013, 09:46 AM

Firstly, I have access to 100s of peoples IP addresses and Internet Provider.

Why? Simply because I run a online game and according to the data protection act I keep that information secure.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If he does have access to your IP information and isn't a staff member on this game then theres a security breach or he is lying to you.

If he did have information he can't access much. He won't even know where you are. The police can't even do this without asking your ISP.
03-01-2013, 09:55 AM

Unless he has snoofing IP address equipment which I doubt he has ....nothing he can do....he's full of hot air !
03-01-2013, 10:04 AM

You probably have a dynamic IP address anyway so it will eventually change or you can reset it. See the link below. I doubt he could get a hold of your credentials however if you ever get email from steam don't click on a link and enter your password, that kind of thing. The email could come from a fraud. Visit the web site by manually entering the URL. Phishing, ever hear of it? Many other ways you can be tricked, Trojan sounds like something you might fall for also.