This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15 years old, not allowed cellphone.?
03-01-2013, 10:30 PM
15 years old, not allowed cellphone.?
So, I'm a teenager. My dad will not let me get a cellphone, I even said to him I would pay for it the cellphone, and it's monthly fees myself. I'm the only kid I know who doesn't have one. I'm more of a social outcast because of it. And I'm also not allowed facebook. He believes if I get a cellphone, I'll be on it 24/7, I won't be aware of my surroundings outside, and I'll be isolated from the family. Although I do see this as true, many kids, and even adults are glued to their phones.(Also, he sees it pefectly fine for me to be glued to the computer all day -_-.) I know that I won't be on it 24/7, cause I've never been like that, and I know how angry it makes my dad. It would be nice to contact my friends, without having an awkward phone convo with them "um, hi, so what are you doing, yah, cool, so...yah." Thats usually how it goes when I'm on the phone, we run out of things to think of and speak about. I find with texting, its more engaging, without having an awkward silence. And it doesn't burn up the phone bill, and I can talk to them from whenever, not just after school, when my friends and I are at home.
A cellphone would also be nice to have during emergencies too, I'm always afraid that I'll be stuck in the middle of no where for whatever reason, and not be able to do anything.
He said there is no way he is " paying for those Fu***** things". So I said I would, then he said, I don't have a job, but I'm planning on getting a job, so I can pay for everything. So...
-How to convince him? (He's a hard man to convince of anything, when he has an opinion he sticks to it, and gets mad at anyone who thinks differently, and doesn't do as he says.)
-Could I get a job at 15? If so what, maybe dishwasher?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2013, 10:38 PM

nough said

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma3xc4uVYO1r3l66z.gif

Ads

don't be a follower, just cause everyone does something doesn't mean you have to do it too. Thats so lame.

Im 15 too. That sounds JUST LIKE my dad!! But I have a cellphone :/ He just doesn't let me have cable in my room because he thinks ill be watching it 24/7.And he makes fun of how much I eat too.And says im not active.It gets old.And he just now let me watch rated R movies.It'll get better.Just buy a ipod touch or something!

Well, offer h that you will clean up the house, and help out whenever he needed

You CAN get a job at 15, but they are all mostly grueling and low paying. I guarantee you will get sick of it very, very fast. My best guess would just sit down, talk with him and discuss that you're getting older and you deserve more freedom and independence. Suggest getting a "lower-tech" cheaper sort of phone. Offer to help pay any bills by helping around, maybe more then usual. If he says no, respect his decision, act as "grown up" as possible and maybe he will come around in the near future. Good luck!

usually 16 is the youngest people hire to get a job, but if you have the money for the phone and bill I don't see why you can't buy it yourself. you're 15, and your family has to realize that it's your life. you're going to make your own decisions.

Are you asking how to convince your father to let you get a job?

your parents should be happy you want to provide for yourself and if they disagree or refuse to drive you to work, you can always ask a friend or someone to drop you off and pick you up. maybe take a bus or something? Your father should be happy that you will have your own money to spend on the things you want instead of him buying for you.

ok it really sounds like you need to just get over yourself, teens with phones are asking for trouble and they really don't need to have them unless they are working after school jobs or are coming home alone. Today I see 8 year olds having their own phone and I see no point, now, back when I was growing up and coming home to an empty place then yes,I can see it is needed but, not today, try actually talking to your friends, no need to text them, or another idea...Do something constructive with your time