This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What are examples of breeches in confidentiality in care?
03-26-2013, 10:06 PM
What are examples of breeches in confidentiality in care?
Today I was suspended on full pay due to a comment I left on Facebook. My employer would not tell me what the comment was however said it breaches confidentiality. Now ive worked in care for years I know not to speak about patients or things and I never have, so I am wondering what are other examples so I can have an idea on what it was I said. Ive looked threw my facebook and cant see anything which I think is relevant apart from mentioning I felt it was unfair my previous employer employs more care staff for lesser residents than most care homes. I dont feel this is confidential as its information anyone can access by a web search. Please advise?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-26-2013, 10:14 PM

Suppose a nurse purposely checks medical records of friends or family members and then acts on that information. When the nurse is subsequently caught, how should a nurse manager handle this breach in patient confidentiality?Patient confidentiality and privacy rights are a serious matter in the eyes of the law. Access to patient information is for the people assigned to provide care, and is on a "need-to-know" basis.1 Each state's nursing practice act and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services ensure the protection of patient privacy and rights. The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) addresses patient confidentiality and protects patients and their medical records, including current and past medical treatment and past medical records, in addition to billing records.2 In instances where medical information is needed for something other than treatment, a written authorization or disclosure form must be obtained.

Ads

You know your answer you got it right there
mentioning I felt it was unfair my previous employer employs more care staff for lesser residents than most care homes
if anyone sees that comment they could sue the care home on the grounds of insufficient staffing levels

What's more important here is that your employer can fire or suspend employees, whatever he wants to do, as long as it does not violate the law (discrimination and sexual harrassment laws, for example). I think it would have been wiser for your employer to explain to you what bothered him on your Facebook, but that's just my opinion. Your comment that your former employer employs more staff for less residents than most care homes does imply that your current employer does not employ as many staff (implyiing that the care he offers is not as good as your former employer's--just because other people could do a search on 'no. of employees' online doesn't mean that anyone would think to do so, except that your comment draws attention to possible 'lesser care'). The best thing for you to do now? If possible, remove opinionated comments you've posted on Facebook in the past, and in the future do not post any comments, at least not opinions of yours, on Facebook at ALL. You aren't the first person to regret comments you've posted online.

First your employer must tell you what the comment was & produce it. The comment you state is only your opinion & if it don't specifically mention a person by name or kind of care or treatment etc I don't see where confidence has been broken. You didn't mention names of any place either. I myself used to take care of 4 Veterans w/disabilities & providing I don't divulge personal information I was fine. I may say I took my guys to the park today, we played cards checkers etc or mention the meal I cooked. I had no problems so long as I didn't mention them by name or give info on meds & appointments. As far as that went the town I took care of these fellows every body knew who I was speaking about anyway (small town & very supportive of us Veterans). Demand your employer show you the evidence & see an attorney. However since you are only suspended & with pay you won't be able to sue but it could be removed from your work diciplinary record. Just look at it as a paid vacation & good luck.