This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
HOW WILL I GET THE YOUNGER GENERATION TO BE INTERESTED IN WRITING LETTERS?
04-04-2013, 09:20 PM
HOW WILL I GET THE YOUNGER GENERATION TO BE INTERESTED IN WRITING LETTERS?
i am doing an ad campaign for the royal mail for my project and i wanted to know how would i get the younger generation to get back into writing letters and not emailing.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2013, 09:28 PM

Remember receiving letters by post, opening them and getting that familiar 'paper' scent that seemed as much a part of a letter as its contents? Remember looking at different types of handwriting on letters … some spidery, others full of flamboyant curves?
Miss them?
f you're an avid emailer, you probably do. 'Email's quick!' you console yourself, hoping it makes up for the lack of that special personal touch. But does it?
Tell them this story and others like this and ask them wouldn't they rather have a keepsake than something that has been read and then deleted forever.
Savita Mehra considers the love letters written by her boyfriend, now husband, more than a decade ago to be among her most prized possessions: "I read and re-read those letters umpteen times, but every written word casts the same charismatic spell as it did some 16 years ago during our courtship. This is something that I find missing in e-mails."

A girl scout leader used this technique:
So, I started out the meeting by having the girls pick out stickers that represent something about them and their lives. We have a big box of stickers that was donated to our troop, so the girls always have great fun digging through all the stickers. Some picked out animals for their various pets; others chose peace signs, religious symbols, pictures of food, whatever was of interest to them. Then, they all told why they picked out the stickers they did.

Then, I started the discussion about how we connect with other people. They're just in the third grade, but they caught on quickly.

As many of us would expect, they listed off many electronic ways of connecting with people....e-mail, text messaging, instant messaging, cell phone, etc. Finally, one little girl (not my daughter, who is very familiar with letter writing) thought of "writing letters"!

So, we talked a little bit about writing letters, and the girls decorated some lined paper with the stickers they picked out.

Some other information:
“Email is for old people” - so says the younger generation (ages 13-24). They still use email when they need to, but it is no longer their primary means of written communication. For the younger generation, email has largely been replaced by text messaging (SMS), instant messaging (IM), and social networking sites such as MySpace and Facebook.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply