This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why doesn't the media inform the public about the "Common Core" learning standards?
04-16-2013, 04:48 AM
Why doesn't the media inform the public about the "Common Core" learning standards?
Since all but Hawaii and Alaska have adopted these new learning standards shouldn't the media be explaining them to parents? If not the media, then why aren't the schools explaining them?

It just seems so secretive and wrong! How and when will kids be tested? Will more kids be held back if they don't meet these specific standards?

If teachers salaries are based on students performance then shouldn't the students and parents be held accountable for the learning of these standards as well?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-16-2013, 04:56 AM

I am a teacher who is using the common core in my second year. Last year it was introduced and I incorporated it a bit, this year it is all standards based.
I teach elementary school, and we sent home letters with report cards explaining the standards, and I talk to the parents of my kids about them and the changes. I am from a state that the common core is based off of, so it is not a HUGE change for us as it will be for some other states.
To answer your question honestly-people don't care. I still think people think we go to school, play, teach the ABCs, and come home. They don't realize the rigor that goes into each day. What the kids are doing now is WAY different than when these adults were in school. In my school, we have first graders that can tell you what expanded notation, schema, and author's purpose are-6 YEAR OLDS! It is amazing. I think informing the public would be a GREAT idea! But, as a teacher, we just do our job the best way we know how. I inform my parents about what we are learning and they help in any way they can. If people actually knew what teachers do on a daily basis, they might be a little more appreciative and stop saying that "we get our summer's off" or get to play all day. It is a tough, tough job.
As far as holding kids back and so forth, the common core are NOT a whole new set of things to teach. Rather, it is a different way of teaching. There may be less objectives, but students are required to know them more in depth than before. Each grade builds off the previous grade. Just like the old standards, teachers will prepare lessons and teach the material. A child gets held back for various reasons-not JUST because they aren't achieving at grade level. In fact, where I teach, that is not enough to hold a child back. You need to look at age, social skills, if they have a disability, if you think it will actually benefit them, etc. So no, the common core won't mean more kids being held back.
Testing is done district wide. I know there will be a nationwide test, but not yet.
I think it is good. My state is VERY rigorous. We take a state test each year. But, there is a state next to mine that is VERY relaxed compared to us. I just got a child that is about a year behind where my current kids are, but was keeping up at the other school. Common core will make every state need to teach to the same standard, not just what they feel is the best. I like it a lot.
GREAT QUESTION!!!!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply