This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What's wrong with keeping your personal life private?
04-16-2013, 12:19 PM
What's wrong with keeping your personal life private?
My boyfriend proposed to me last week and I started telling my closed ones. Everyone is happy but many of my friends told me it’s weird that I don’t want to announce it on Facebook. I like to keep my personal life out of social media. What’s wrong with it? Also, we plan to elope to a nice island because we’re not into big weddings. We just want to have a nice time on a gorgeous island, just the two of us after going to city hall. I don’t even care that much for the dress. My best friend told me I was weird because every woman dreams of a traditional princess wedding with a nice gown. I never did. I like going to nice big weddings but they are not for me. Why am I being called weird?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-16-2013, 12:27 PM

Your being called weird because you're different, and there is nothing wrong with that! If anything this shows how you aren't afraid to be yourself and do what you want, not others. Yes it's true, mist girls dream of the day they wear that beautiful white dress, but if it's not for you then it's not for you! And don't worry about the facebook thing. You're not the only one! I would never most anything that personal on facebook. Take no notice of what your friends say...you're an individual!x

Ads

You are being called weird because you are not doing what everyone else would do. Personally, I would be inclined to agree with you. I rarely post on Facebook and would want a quiet and private wedding. Nothing wrong with being your own person and doing what you want.

This is not weird. If I could do it all over I would have eloped. It is such a waste of money for a big lavish wedding. My wedding was not big either but it is such a waste. I, like you, did not sit around dreaming of the day I was going to get married. I like big weddings when they are someone else's. I am also a very private person that does not announce my life happenings on facebook. Close friends and family know personal details but I am not crazy about posting things to facebook. Many people use facebook as a way to feel better about themselves by getting "likes" or comments on their posts. It is ridiculous. My facebook friends list only has people on it that I actually talk to, like that are on my contacts on my phone. Most people have friends list of people they haven't talked to in years. I think you are doing what makes you happy and that is most important.

Why do you want to be like everyone else?
You're original, be happy.
It doesn't matter what you're friends say, everybody has an opinion, they're only for you to consider, but in the end you make the decision you are most comfortable with Smile

There is nothing wrong with wanting to keep things a little more low level and private. In fact it is admirable.

Coming from someone who did the big wedding thing and has been to a ton of big weddings... your idea to keep it small and private is perfect. The day is about YOU and your future spouse, it is not about flashy decorations, huge, expensive dresses that get worn once and sit in storage for the next 50 years, or cake that costs $8 a slice. Your wedding will be special to you because of who you are with - no because of what you spent or how many guests are invited.

So are you weird? Well maybe... but that is just because what your want isn't considered "normal". Yet if you ask people who are happily married for a decade or so, they will almost always tell you the wedding didn't matter, and they spent too much. The marriage is what counts - not the wedding. Save the money and go on vacation...because those memories will be more important than some flashy "hey look at me" party in a white dress.

In short - being weird is good. Stay weird.

You are far more normal than everyone else who is trying to tell you how to live your life. Stick to your convictions and let them call you weird. I think if you cave in to the people (the weird people who think they can tell someone else how to live) then you become weird. You are far more normal than they are!!