This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to announce a church wedding after being married civilly for 12 yrs?
04-16-2013, 04:34 PM
How to announce a church wedding after being married civilly for 12 yrs?
How can I announce our plan to be married in a church wedding after being married civilly for 12 years?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-16-2013, 04:42 PM

You're already legally married. All you need, possibly, is a renewal of your vows. It's quite common, especially when couples get married and can't afford a church wedding first time around, and later want to make it feel more special by renewing their vows at a more formal ceremony. Just announce it and even send invitations out to it if you want.

Ads

You announce a vow renewal or an anniversary party, not a wedding, as you are already married. You cannot get married again, even in a church. I suppose the church can bless your marriage, but you cannot call it a wedding.

I don't remember the exact words we used, but it went something like this:
"Please join us as we bless the union of _______ &_________ in a renovation of vows ceremony held on..."
We had been married legally but still wanted to have a religious ceremony.
It was beautiful, and I'm sure your's will be as well!

As a "Religious Blessing of our Marriage".

Do people know you've been married 12 years?

If they do, simply send invitations that say, "We'd like you to share our joy in Spiritually renewing our wedding vows at such and such a time, etc."

If they don't, just send regular announcements.

If the wedding will be in a Catholic church. you can have wedding vows. The Catholics do not recognize a civil marriage, nor any children from it. According to that church, you aren't married. Just talk to the priest about how it will go.

Now, if it is a Protestant wedding, you will have to talk to the minister. I'm sure that his wording will mention your civil union, and he will give you a church blessing.

And you announce it in the newspaper, and with save the date cards[if you wish to use them] and invitation, and word of mouth, and social media.
Hey, you are get a church sanctioned wedding! For reasons your guests will approve of, support, and might bring a gift!

Just be careful who you tell, people assume they are invited if they are told about it by the bride.

You're already married. Therefore, you're not getting married. You're renewing your vows. People usually do this during a regular Sunday service. The couple and family membewrs may go out to dinner afterwards but unless it's a 'mile marker' anniversary year (and 12 isn't), they don't have a big celebration with guests etc since you've had an established home for 12 years. To have a reception and expect gifts would be tacky and greedy so I'm glad you didn't mention that you were doing that.