This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is David Price the man to save boxing?
10-12-2012, 08:21 AM
Is David Price the man to save boxing?
It is a cliche that strength of Boxing depends on its heavyweight division. The heavyweight division has been dominated since Lewis retired by two Ukranian brothers. The Klitschkos are among the best heayweights of all time in my opinion, but that is another argument. The point is, people see them as boring. But the main reason they are not popular is because they not America or British or Canadian. The thing is, for as long as they are still about, there is no one out there who can beat them. They are a level above everyone.

That is until now maybe. Step forward David Price. He is massive. A man mountain. He is British. He looks like something out of a Rocky film. Oh and I forgot to mention that he can bang a bit. I honestly believe David Price is the man to save the heavyweight divison and consequently to save boxing. Truth be told, I do not believe boxing needs saving. What I really mean is, Price is the man to get the casual fans interested again.

Price fought on Saturday night here in the UK. He was on Sky Sports. His fight was shown directly after the Champions League Final, watched by millions here in the UK. Shrewd move from Sky. All those packed in to pubs around the country here in the UK got to see Price. Many for the first time. He did not dissapoint. The opposition was not the greatest, but he put on a show. And when it comes to the casual fan, a show is a show, it does not matter who the opposition is.

I went on Twitter straight after the fight and guess what? David Price was trending. A lot of yanks thought it was the baseball player, not knowing who this David Price was. Here in the UK Twitter was going nuts gfor David Price. I must have read well over a thousand comments. From 'Price is scary', 'future heavyweight champion', 'the man to beat the Klitschkos', 'the heir to the Klitschko throne', 'Price is unbelievable', 'price will smash both haye and chisora', 'it's good to see a boxer with real skills and who is a gentleman unlike those two idiots [haye and chisora]. Positive comment after positive comment.

There was an alarming number of comments from those seeing him for the first time also. An alarming number of casual fans. Of couse, casual fans are the what is needed to make boxing huge again. So, Price is already becoming a houshold name here in the UK, despite only having 13 fights and only winning the British title. There is talk of Price fighting on the Amir Khan undercard in July to showcase him to the Americans.

There are still some boxes that need to be ticked regarding price but it is hard to fault him thus far. He looks to be the package and looks to be what boxing needs. He is a giant and powerful scary man but he is also not a trash talker. He is like a British Klitschko, only more exciting to watch. I think his popularity here in the UK will grow with every fight and think the Americans could be drawn to him too. What do you think?
Flash Kno Down - I guess some Americans are still too patriotic and bitter to see a non-america heavyweight doing well. You obviously know nothing about David Price. And I am not so much basing him on his level of oppoisition. I know boxing well enough to see he has the skills. Sam Sexton has never been knocked out (ref stopped chisora fights) and only lost to chisora. Chisora gave Vitali a good fight. He never layed a glove on Pricey. Why don't you go on YouTube and watch David Price's last four fights and make your own judgement as you obviously never seen him fight.
David Price, out of shape? ey? He is one of the most ripped heavyweights out there.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2012, 08:29 AM

Slow down my friend David Price is not the answer to anything when was the last time the UK had a good heavy weight?You mention that the Klitschko brothers were great lol you are talking about the same brothers that lost to Cory Sander, and Chris Byrd lol please .They are the same fighters now that they were back then now there promoters wont let them fight god fighters. believe it or not James Toney would beat both of them today you can laugh but you never see his name come up do you. You can put all the UK fighters in a clown car and drive them around they are not good fighters. America is where the heavy weights come from .I noticed you failed to mention the fighters name that Price fought Saturday night you better hope it is someone that I have heard of or I am coming back to you and this time I wont be so nice. David Price

I'm back!! H.J come on man Sam Sexton who got knocked out by Derrck Chisora TWICE!. If this is what you are bassing your opinion on then you don't know nothing about boxing. Price is a 6-8 245lb slow out of shape soft fighter he will only be big in his home town.Sm Sexton .

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply