This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is internet addiction bad?
04-25-2013, 09:32 PM
Is internet addiction bad?
My parents says that I have internet addiction disorder, and has taken my internet away for me on all days, except the weekend. I don't personally think that being addicted to the internet is as bad as being addicted to drugs or alcohol (Like my parents says). I'm still very social with my family and at school. I want to know you guys' opinion, and maybe some "official" opinion (What most doctos thinks, ect ect).
@Penny Lane I do understand that, and I didn't have any internet for half a year, but they DO need to understand, 'cause they're the ones that pulled the plug...

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-25-2013, 09:42 PM

Official opinions usually such because they basically say what society and media has created as 'accepted behavior'. Here is my normal opinion: no (if you don't use it for bad purposes of course). Being social in real life is extremely important and should never be replaced by social networking. However, internet addiction is not that bad if it's controlled (if you have survived without getting insane a whole week without internet, your condition isn't that bad). Internet has something that TV or society doesn't - in the internet you have hundreds of opinions and you choose which one you believe in. Society doesn't let you choose your opinion, it speaks one opinion which is supposed to be everybody's opinion. This, I believe, is really important and this is what's great about the internet although very few people actually take advantage of that and waste their time on useless stuff. So in my opinion, internet addiction is not bad if you still socialize in the 'old' way and do other things aside your 'addiction'.
P.S.: Don't expect parents to understand that, mine don't either but they needn't, it's you who needs to understand. Good luck.

Ads

04-25-2013, 09:46 PM

People use the term "addiction" very loosely these days -- if you do something too much, in another person's opinion, that is not an addiction.
For this discussion, it does not matter if you are "addicted" to the Internet, in accordance with the clinical meaning of the term or you are abusing your Internet access -- online late at night when you should be sleeping, on Facebook instead of studying, gaining weight due to being less active . . .
You should be glad that your parents care and are aware -- too many parents are allowing their children to sit online for endless hours -- and there is a bad effect. On the other hand, maybe what your parents have done feels like a punishment or is too extreme given the way the Internet has become such an integral part of daily life -- and it certainly is not all evil!

Some Tips:
Take the Internet Addiction Test and get an idea of just how dependent you are on your Internet use:
http://www.internet-addiction-guide.com/...-test-iat/

Talk to your parents about a mutually agreeable set of rules to guide your Internet use. It is something that can really benefit you now and as an adult - the same way that healthy eating habits instilled when you are young will help yo remain a healthy eater as you grow up.
Maybe one hour per weekday is reasonable? Maybe defining a window of time that is acceptable so that it is clearly not interfering with other parts of life. You may also point out what you are doing online -- if you use the Internet for research, for making social plans, for catching up on your sports teams . . . your parents should realize that there are very practical aspects to your Internet use. If you update your Facebook status 10 times per day, maybe you need to reconsider.