This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Should I let my daughter sign up for Facebook?
04-26-2013, 08:06 PM
Should I let my daughter sign up for Facebook?
My daughter really wants to sign up for Facebook. She says that all of her friends have it, and that a Facebook is essential to socializing today. But I just want her to be safe. She says there are a lot of privacy settings but I still feel uneasy about it. She's my only child, she's my everything, and if anything were to happen to her, I just don't know what I would do. Am I being overprotective? Or am I being appropriately cautious? Should I let her sign up for Facebook?
She is 15.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-2013, 08:21 PM

How old is she?

Just make sure to have access of her account.

Ads

04-26-2013, 08:33 PM

Important factor here is her age. Facebook really isn't all that scary. There are a ton of privacy settings, that's true. But it's just like any other internet site in that anyone can be on there.

She's correct in that it's pretty much essential today. Facebook is the new cell phone. Everyone has it.
04-26-2013, 08:39 PM

Yes, but you should also ask that she keeps an open communication with you. If ANYTHING bad happens, she has to be responsible enough to tell you about it.

...I'd also suggest being a friend of hers' on Facebook, if you want to monitor.
04-26-2013, 08:52 PM

Trust me, I'm 12, And i got one behind my mothers back, but got it taken away, it IS safe, but it depends on your age, 14 and above, sure, 13 or 12, just make sure YOU have the password, and 11 and under I would say no. If she is 11 or under i would let he have a twitter. but, yes, she is right, It is a HUGE part of social life. At least if you want to stay connected.
04-26-2013, 09:05 PM

i just turned 15 and i got my facebook page like in the mid of being 14
i never signed up for one because it didnt really interest me
but like i think you should let her
only people who go to school with me sees my profile and pictures and everything
like just put her in a network of people in her age range
some kids put really provokative things on their page but if you trust her she won't
and she'd be able to get help from friends on facebook and get assignments she missed
but in the end she still may try to get one anyways without you knowing so to avoid that you should just let her get one. it would have sex with her. which would you like her to have sex or to have a facebook
GO FACEBOOK WOOOOOOOOOOO
no youre not being over protective you just want the best for her and in this situation the best for her is Facebook
04-26-2013, 09:18 PM

Let her have a face book account.
But tell her that she should add you as a friend. And also tell her not to add people that she doesn't know.
Make sure she keeps her profile on private.
There is alot of information for parents to read on face book
04-26-2013, 09:26 PM

Her age really is a big factor here. Are we talking 8 or 9, or 12-13, or older?

You'd have to lie to let her have one if she's under 13, so think what you're teaching her there if that's the case...

Older than 13, I say, YOU have the password at first, until you can see how she is on it and you can get used to it. You do sound like you may be a bit overprotective at times. She is growing up and has to learn how to deal with life. Social sites like Facebook, and really, the internet in general, are not going away. You have the opportunity to learn With her, and to guide her to safe behavior. I wouldn't allow her to have the password until you can trust that she won't change it and block you from her page.

I would also suggest, you make yourself a profile, and friend her on there. That way you'll see how it works too- and understanding things makes them much less scary and intimidating. You'll also likely reconnect with people you haven't spoken to in ages- surprise bonus!
04-26-2013, 09:43 PM

Your being totally normal, and the fact that your so worried about it just shows that your a great parent.
I think you should let her, depending on her age.
If she is around 13 or older, she should be okay, as long as she is smart & responsible.
Have her give you her password so that you can check up on her every once in a while, but don't abuse it! Trust her! =)
She's right, there are many privacy setting she can use. She can go to the "settings" tab and choose "privacy". From there she can choose "profile" "search" "news feed & wall" and "applications". She'll want to spend time in each of these categories. The only major thing is BE SURE that she isn't adding people she doesn't know. Most of the people are real, but we'd rather be safe than sorry! I'd also check her pictures every once in a while to make sure that they aren't inappropriate.
Something else to consider is making one yourself, so that you can be check up on all of her stuff. Not spying, just watching out for her. Don't be annoying and embarrassing though! =D
Thats really the only advice I can give you.
When I tell you to check up on her page, though, don't be creepy about it. Just make sure that she's doing all the right things, and none of the wrong. =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg0oYQziK...re=related
04-26-2013, 09:47 PM

You are being appropriately cautious, but Facebook is a very safe site.
I use it all the time, I've been using it for about 2 years and I've never had any issues with creeps, or viruses or anything. Your daughter is right, Facebook has a lot of privacy settings so you can choose exactly who sees your information, pictures, and activities. Profiles remain private to non-friends, and there is also a setting to not display your profile in the search when people type in your name.

I say let your daughter sign up, but make sure you talk to her about internet risks and the dangers of talking to or adding people she doesn't know as friends. Oh, and make sure she knows not to post any silly pictures... if you get what I mean.