This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
does Australia have the same media as the US?
04-27-2013, 05:05 PM
does Australia have the same media as the US?
i'm doing a project for my social media class on the media in other countries compared to the US.

Is Australia similar to the US? in things like celebrity obsessions, tabloids, paparazzi, red carpet events, networks like E!.
even with sports, like how michael phelps and other athletes are famous and treated the same as celebrities, and supermodels-like the victoria secret angels.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2013, 05:11 PM

australians are LAUGHING at americans !!

...in fact...the whole WORLD is laughing at americans..........who cares if a celebrity gets a haircut ??

in america ??......it gets front page news

Ads

04-27-2013, 05:24 PM

It's not quite as bad over here though we do have issues with the hero status given to sports stars & the appalling behaviour of a few of them...

Unfortunately whenever ordinary people are elevated beyond their value to society some inevitably find it difficult to rise to what's expected of them...

Yes , our media are fascinated with what seems to be "unnewsworthy" & less fascinated with what is...they also seem to want to create news rather than just report on it.
04-27-2013, 05:36 PM

Here it definitely isn't as full on as it is in the US.
We have the same things you have, like E! is on foxtel (pay-tv) and we have the entertainment shows that just focus on the celebrities but we don't have our own ones, it's just the American shows shown here.

We have magazines about celebs, but they're mainly filled with stuff happening in America (there is stuff about Aussie celebs in them though) I see two main reasons for this:
1. American paparazzi and media are very different to Australian ones. They seem more desperate there with more of a need for some sort of a story.
2. Americans and American celebrities are generally more fame obsessed. By this I mean that a lot more of your celebrities are only famous because they want to be famous and the American public allows this a lot more than the Australian public would.
For example I can't think of any celebs who are famous without a reason.
We see actors, sports stars, models, presenters etc as celebs they're just ranked differently.