This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
£20 to see a doctor! Is this "Social Justice" as described in the SMF "about us" page?
10-12-2012, 08:27 AM
£20 to see a doctor! Is this "Social Justice" as described in the SMF "about us" page?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8156279.stm
"Patients should be charged £20 to see a GP in a bid to limit demands placed on the health service, a centre-right think-tank says.

The Social Market Foundation said forcing people to pay a fee for an appointment could help the NHS cope in the tight financial times ahead.

The group said it would not breach the values of the NHS as charges already applied to dentistry and prescriptions

But both the government and doctors said they were against such a move. "

http://www.smf.co.uk/about.html
"The Social Market Foundation is a leading UK think tank, developing innovative ideas across a broad range of economic and social policy. It champions policy ideas which marry markets with social justice and takes a pro-market rather than free-market approach. Our work is characterised by the belief that governments have an important role to play in correcting market failures and setting the framework within which markets can operate in a way that benefits individuals and society as a whole."

I know that a £20 fee would cripple me. I have to see my gp regularly, as he won't put some medication on a repeat prescription. Is there any sense in a £20 fee? Is this a first step towards privatising the NHS?
GeeCee. I know. That's a shame really. Ireland could probably afford to have a better service.

I know it's a think tank. I realise that it doesn't mean it's going to happen for sure. These "think tanks" do have influence though.
Deco. That's a cheap dig. Here's an interesting link that shows "free care" in Scotland is just a myth.
http://www.seniorsnetwork.co.uk/freecare/
OMG Haz! That is scary.
CJ see Kozzmo's answer for why it's not so good.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2012, 08:35 AM

This is a think tank recommendation it will never happen

Ads

£20 thats scandalous. I am the same as you and have to see my GP regular as I suffer from OCD and I know if I had to pay £20 to see a GP I couldnt afford that so my health would suffer. I dont think this would ever take off as there would be such an outcry as I would imagine most people couldnt afford this so I wouldnt worry.

In Ireland we pay €50 to see our Doctors and it is €100 to go to A+E.

For SMF Read NWO!

Don't GPs get well over a hundred grand to 'Practice' ????????

Yes they do!

This would be the final nail in the coffin of Labour, as cash strapped as they are, and so will not happen. I'm horrified to see how much people in Ireland are now having to pay!

I bet David Cameron will be looking at that with a great deal of interest.
Right up their street.

You might be interested in my answer on this same subject asked by 1984 on the next page! And is privatisation really such a bad thing?

CJ

I thought I paid ludicrous amounts of tax for a 'free' NHS.

Meh, just wealthy right wing knobheads being their usual selves. They can easily afford the £20, so charging it must be a good idea as it would keep all those nasty poor people from bothering the doctors and making them wait for an appointment.

I wouldn't worry, I can't see it happening. Could you imagine any government daring to do that? Especially when we're dealing with a bleeding flu pandemic!