This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why is it that in the US when something serious happens the whole world finds out....but.....?
04-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Why is it that in the US when something serious happens the whole world finds out....but.....?
Ok so like in the US if there is a shooting like the NewTown one that happened recently the whole world finds out about this. But in another part of the world 15 Christian Nigerians were killed while sleeping and yet no one knows about this in fact I just found out cause a contact of mine from a different country asked if anyone had heard about this and I had not.

Like in the US something like a mass shooting happens everyone in the world finds out. In another country a shooting happens and not a lot of the world finds out only some places and not often. But the US is pretty much on every major news station from country to country every time something happens. Why is this?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-30-2013, 09:58 AM

Many Americans don't care about anything that happens outside of their borders. The news reporting reports what people want to see, so stories from other countries don't get much play unless they have a direct impact on the US.
And in many foreign countries, they aren't really interested in what happens in the US, and therefore have quite a warped idea of what the country, and people in the country are actually like.

Ads

04-30-2013, 10:12 AM

Well how do I put this:

This stuff other then in Africa and other nations with wonderful goverment does not happen. In the US how many shooting were there in the last 4 years, about 3-4 right. That is about ONE a year.

In Norway another inicident hasn't happened since and hopefully won't. In the rest of Europe it hasn't happened.

And the US loves to tell the entire universe how they have the 'right to bear arms'. Funny thing is the US is the only DEVELOPED nation on the planet with that in their legislation.

That's why.
04-30-2013, 10:14 AM

Not true, I read about that incident. I check global news. All networks have world and global news. just check their websites. There have been mass shootings that I have read about in Brittan, Germany, Denmark, Australia and Japan. I could go on and on. I don't know how they cover US news in other countries. I wish the news in the US would report daily totals of deaths by guns. In
my eyes, all news outlets just gloss over the issue.
04-30-2013, 10:21 AM

I know what you mean. We have a hard time getting in PBS stations where I live, so when my son goes to his dad's house he watches the foreign news, and he ALWAYS has a lot of interesting things to report back to me that I hadn't seen anywhere else. The English Al Jazeera is a good source, apparently, and I like to check out Bos News Life online.
04-30-2013, 10:36 AM

Very good question. Canada sensors the media as well as many other countries.
04-30-2013, 10:38 AM

I don't accept that as true at all. If someone is interested in what's happening all over the world they can find it. For instance, the mass murders in Norway in July 2011 where a man killed 85 people on an island youth camp. That made world news. I read about it, if there was someone that didn't hear about that incident then they just don't bother to read or listen to current events.

On my Netvibes homepage I have six different news agencies that are instantly updated as events happen, I know of any airplane crash, rocket fire in Syria or a murder in a subway in NY instantly. I know this because I like to be informed about the world and not only the US as you claim.

People are only as uniformed and ignorant of world events as they choose to be. The world is smaller than its ever been with all the instant communications we enjoy through social media and news agencies online.
04-30-2013, 10:52 AM

Americans, quite simply do not care about ahat happens outside of their borders. The media is one sided and selfish. As long as no one American gets killed, it's fine. But when white Americans are shot, everyone stands in attention. Truthfully, hundreds of children are butchered in outside of America every day, and, unsurprisingly, Americans are unconcerned. As long as no one on American soil (preferably wealthy Americans) gets killed, Americans resume their daily activity.