This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is facebook the reason why there are so many suicidal teens?
04-30-2013, 12:53 PM
Is facebook the reason why there are so many suicidal teens?
Love the answer alisha. I want to delete mine also but they are a few friends i dont want to lose contact with

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-30-2013, 01:08 PM

no

Ads

04-30-2013, 01:14 PM

No. A website doesn't do anything as it's inanimate. It's other people who are causing all the damage.
04-30-2013, 01:16 PM

Social media may contribute to teen depression, as studies have found that facebook can make adults depressed.

On social media sites, people tend to only post about positive experiences (fun vacation pictures, exciting news, funny things that happened, party photos, etc etc). This creates a lot of envy, and comparing of situations. People feel like they're not as happy as their friends are when they are on facebook, which leads to depression.

Social media also opens the door to drama. Teens now have a way to bully anonymously. It can create relationship/friendship problems. Facebooks get hacked and personal information gets leaked. A number of things can go wrong when naive kids log on.

So, yeah, it could be a contributor to teen depression. Can't say it pushes them to suicide, though.
04-30-2013, 01:33 PM

Unlikely. It's more probable that there are many more disfunctional families and less opportunity and skills in communicating better about personal needs. Not enough people actually listening to cries for help.

I am a psychotherapist who works with such people in need.
04-30-2013, 01:39 PM

If that is all it takes to commit suicide, something is seriously wrong in the first place. Facebook just takes the bullying from the streets to cyberspace, nothing different. At least on Facebook parents can check out who is bullying their children. And kids arent getting physically assaulted on Facebook. If I catch anyone doing it, I would f@#k that kid up bigtime. Parents need to wake up and take more notice of what their kids are doing.
04-30-2013, 01:53 PM

a big no..