This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Does this guy "suffer" from "nice guy syndrome" or...?
04-30-2013, 07:42 PM
Does this guy "suffer" from "nice guy syndrome" or...?
I apologize for this being so long and badly written, was kind of in a rush.

This guy I was talking to at Uni was conversing with me about my preference in guys. I stated I preferred guys I’m into to be confident/I don’t mind cockiness and he said that he’s not like that because he finds those traits negative and guys like that are douches. He says, “you’re okay with being attracted to douches?” to which I say yes. He said I’ll eventually grow out of it and learn that the “bad boy” thing is stupid if you want a long/meaningful relationship with a guy.

To which I explain that by saying “bad boys” I hope he’s not referring to a guy that’s a complete douche that treats girls like crap but rather specific personality traits that nice guys generally don’t have (e.g. many nice guys...such as him, come off as very clingy at times) which come off as extremely annoying to me. He then restated the fact that all guys who are confident or overly confident are douches.

He then told me that he doesn't understand why girls like me who can have practically any guy I want bother wasting my time on dicks as most of the time they’re assholes and it’s not worth it to be with them as I’ll realize soon enough that those type of guys are not what I really want because I should want a nice guy to which he basically described himself (someone that tries too hard to be nice, can’t be mean to anyone, has no backbone, always puts others before himself etc.)

Now he’s implying that I’m shallow and only look for short-term things when I've been in a relationship with my current boyfriend for 2 years. I’m pretty sure this guy likes me but I've made it clear several times that I’m simply not interested, I always ignore him, have him blocked on all social media websites but this conversation happened in person where I couldn't avoid him.

Is this your typical case of “nice guy syndrome” or what do you think is going on here? Not sure what to make of it, thanks!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-30-2013, 07:48 PM

Well I'm a nice guy too. He made some good points, but you did as well.
Nice guys (and girls for that matter) typically finish last in the whole relationship game. I can state that from experience. The majority of people (guys and girls) look for people that could be described as...well, basically everything that he said. It's a two way street.
So, nice people are typically irritated by this (as I am), and sometimes they just get angry about it, like this guy seems to have done. I got pretty angry after another rejection (haven't had any success) a couple months ago, and it took me about two months to cool down.
I wouldn't say it's a syndrome per se. It's really just frustration. It's natural. You get frustrated about things too, right?
I'm sure you're not one of those people who are interested in jerks, so he was probably wrong to go after you like that. If you were into jerks though, then I wouldn't blame him. He made some good points, but to the wrong person is all.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply